1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SanDisk announces G3 series SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i don't think i'll be able to pass up $150 for a 60GB SSD. especially if they're as fast as they say they are.

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

$250 for a 120GB SSD doesn't seem too bad at all. Except they will probably be £250 but even that isn't too bad.
    Do you think these are 64GB with a bit lopped off for redundancy, or have they just done something a bit odd to break from the usual 64, 128, 256GB trend?

4. bowman

bowman Minimodder

After the JMicron controller fiasco and the weird behavior of Intel SLC drives I'm wary of SSDs. It seems most companies are shovelling crap out to the market rather than developing truly market ready products.

I'll wait until they've had some real-world testing (i.e. user feedback after weeks and months) before plodding down any bills for such drives.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

What about a problem I read with SLC drives? I read on Guru3D that, at least with SLC drives, the drive is only fast when written from formatted. Once data has to be rewritten (i.e, when you delete a file and it comes back around to be written over) the drive has to write it to zero, and then write it to whatever the data requires, halving the speed advantage you originally had. The only way to regain the initial speed is to format again.

Is this an MLC problem as well as SLC? Or is this likely just a problem due to the controller used (Sorry, I can't remember which SSD it was)?

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

it's explained in the bit-tech review of the Intel SSD.
    Basically what you are saying is true. Writing data is slower the second time, but ONLY on SLC. It's still going to be fast though...

7. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

Well, they are using the new chipset. Looking at the spec it seems it is exactly the same as the new OCZ Vertex

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

holy jeez........ now where did i read Solid State isn't gonna be mainstream in 2009?

i think i'll be splurging on the 60Gb soon.......... wow............... i mean........

by the end of this year im sure 120Gb is below $99................ its so exciting to have the one single most troublesome bottleneck in a PC is getting a huge makeover :)

Tags: Add Tags