1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Shadowrun: Hong Kong smashes Kickstarter goal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Xir

Xir Modder

So, why haven't you reviewed it?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'Cos I don't review games?

If you're asking why bit-tech hasn't reviewed it, I have no idea. I've played the Android version, if that helps. I enjoyed it, but it seemed a bit buggy. Don't know if that's improved since launch.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Well yes, not you personally, but Bit-Gamer in General.

The news articles text sounds like this is a mainstream game (which it really isn't) and if it were, I miss a review.
    Don't know if you write the news texts or if they're...ummm...industry info.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Then you obviously don't pay much attention. I write the news articles. (Well, the news articles that have my by-line, obviously. I don't write anyone else's.) I chose to write about this because it interested me, and I figured it would interest others. Any suggestion to the contrary is extremely insulting.

As for "it really isn't [a mainstream game]," says who? Sure, it's digital-only: but it's available for Windows, OS X, Linux, Android and iOS, and its two releases so far have generated several million dollars in revenue. That is, as far as I'm aware, more than The Talos Principle, which was reviewed late last year. Sure, it was crowd-funded - but so was Wasteland 2 which was reviewed back in October, albeit with approximately twice the backers and twice the cash.

If you want to know how games are selected for review, you'd have to ask Rick. As an outside observer, I know there's an obvious bent towards triple-A titles - but indies certainly get a look-in. Is Shadowrun less mainstream than Five Nights in the Forest, or Mind: Path to Thalamus, or Gang Beasts, or Ether One, or - hell - Goat Simulator? Hmm? What if I told you - in case you weren't aware - that the much-loved Shadowrun table-top RPG on which the franchise is based dates back to 1989 and had its fifth edition published in 2013, having sold millions upon millions of copies in the interim?

EDIT:
    Couldn't help but add this in, just in case you decide not to click on the Wikipedia link up there. How mainstream is mainstream again?
    What I can tell you is that when you have one person working part-time reviewing games, you won't get a review for every single game that is ever released. It's simply impossible.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2015
  6. Xir

Xir Modder

Pweh, sorry if I shook your tree there.

You're right, I don't know how you guys work, there are plenty of websites where the "news" section it mostly copy-and-paste and I for one can't always tell the difference.

Thank you for making your point clear.

More to the point, my theory that this particular shadowrun game is more obscure than goat simulater and your other examples is based upon these beeing reviewed here, and this not.
    That's all. I didn't do market research or so.

And I certainly never meant to say that the shadowrun franchise is obscure, heck I have it in the cellar with some dusty old dice myself.
    Xir is my shadowrun name :D, I played it before I entered here many moons ago. This is why I was interested in the first place.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Wait, you think bit-tech is mainstream? Yeah, that could be the root of your problems.

As a quick bit of 'market research' for you: the PC version of Shadowrun Returns was reviewed by 54 review sites registered with Metacritic; the PC version of Goat Simulator was reviewed by 39 review sites registered with Metacritic. Thus, I can safely say, if we're using the presence or absence of reviews as a yardstick Shadowrun Returns is significantly more mainstream than Goat Simulator. The fact that Rick reviewed one and not the other is something you'd want to discuss with Rick, there.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah, yes, my one sided view. There is that.

Bit-Tech is pretty much my only website for games and hardware.
    Bit, then a factor 10 below Tom's and Anand.

Only when I start looking for something specific do I read other reviews, usually noticing that the Bit-Tech articles are head and shoulders above qualitywise.

Exept for Prad for monitors of course, they're incredibly detailed. (almost too)

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yeeesss! More Shadowrun on the horizon. Joy!