1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

2. ĿªЪяεġø™

ĿªЪяεġø™ Rabbit Modder !

Does anyone have the RAM coolers model used in this render ? I thought it was on SCC but can't find :worried:

Thanks anyway :D oh , btw , I added a model of Asus Maximus II Formula to the collection :thumb:

3. bocian

bocian New

I finish playing with SketchUp, I decided to share what I have (also RAM cooling).
    ~100MB, 47 models, chieftec case, abit ab9, cooling components, etc.

Work licensed under a Creative Commons BY-SA.
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Models can be placed in the SCC, but must be retained terms of the license.

Link to the package:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6D4IWcVMmDANzYyOTE3YjAtMWZjMi00NzIzLWE4ZmItNzFjZTk4NTBmZDk2&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Sorry for my English, I hope that the models will be useful to someone

4. fitZ

fitZ What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, nubee here. Guys, I have a problem. And a suggestion if it already hasn't been done here somewhere. And if it is, please forgive me. I've searched all over but can't find what I'm looking for. Here's the deal.

In the pro Architectural woodworking world, my vocation is whats known as a "Detailer". A detailer draws plans for the manufacture of various products such as Store Fixtures etc. As a detailer, I must draw things to various scales when working in 2d, as the drawings are usually plotted as a set of paper plans that are submitted to the client as well as to the shop for manufacturing. However, when working in 3d, models are drawn FULL SCALE. And this is what I am having a problem with. You see, when some new or even long term Sketchup modelers draw, they really don't work in the FULL SIZE world. In fact, from my experience in downloading models from the Warehouse, I can't imagine WHAT scale they are. And this is precisely what I am dealing with when downloading the models from here.....

http://scc.jezmckean.com/cat/19

You see, I am a PRECISION modeler. I work with a tolerance of 1/32" or less. This means I have set up my Sketchup Unit Preferences to work at whatever precision I need. Unfortunately, many modelers do not set up their precision and or units to reflect this sort of precision. Or do they understand how to enter lengths etc in a manner that allows for precision modeling. The point I am trying to make here is this.

I'm in the early stages of designing a custom computer setup for a recording studio. As this custom computer must fit within the boundarys of existing equipment, and meet some standards that most modding people do not have to fworry about. So, after defineing some of the more technical aspects of the computer specifications, I began the process of design. Usually, if i can save time by downloading models from the Warehouse, even if they are not exactly what I need, I will still use them as long as they are drawn in full precise scale.

For this project, for various reasons, the Motherboard spec was defined as a Standard ATX configuation vs other sizes like an EVGA classified or others. So, after doing a search, I found the site linked above(which everyone is discussing here) and began downloading various models for use in mine. Not only motherboards, but drives, cases( I am using the Microcool Banchetto 101 Clear Modular Case by scooby since it was similar to what I had in mind, had various usefull components and motherboard mounting screws)
    and a few others such as watercooling components.

However, no sooner than I imported the first ATX motherboard model, it was obvious the scale was something other than FULL. In fact it was much larger than full scale. Unfortunately, unless one knows what scale the model was drawn at, using the scale tool to reduce the size is a lesson in frustration. This is why.

ATX motherboards(in fact all components), are designed and manufactured to meet a STANDARD, which allow various componets to interface. The standard for motherboard/case interface is the MOUNTING HOLE SPECIFICATION. Found here....
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\atx2_2.pdf

There is a basic board layout, and there is an actual dimension layout as well. Unfortunately, I don't have a printed copy, and it is impossible to read the actual hole spacing dimensions. And that is the problem. It seems these models have been created using an imported jpg of the motherboards, and then modified to reflect 3d realities of various mobo components, such as capacitors etc. Unfortunately, for people like me, since the models are not based on real dimensions, scaling and alignment with other models becomes impossible for real world design which must be translated into fabrication.

Hence, I have a suggestion. But first, can anyone tell me or direct me to any Sketchup models
    that are TEMPLATES for motherboard or other component alignment? For instance, has anyone created any template models of the ATX hole spacing standard? It would look something like this, although this is not accurate as I don't know the hole spacing:

[​IMG]

If not, and anyone is interested, I will provide these templates, as well as other related ones such as HD cages etc. as soon as I find all the "standards". Untill then, well I guess I'm on my own huh? :)

BTW, here is what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of you may scoff at the idea of using Sketchup for detailing, but Sketchup has become a standard for many other fields, that work in the real world of dimensions. Such as Architects, engineers, woodworkers and many others.
    fitZ

jezmck likes this.
  5. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I've tried to create such a model before. The mounting holes and PCI(-E) slots are the only thing needed as the socket position isn't standardized. All the other components can be guesses as we do claim nowhere that the models are 100% correct. Also one would have to be stupid to plan a project to such precision that every transistor needs to be correctly placed using one of our models, sorry. If you require such accurate measurements try to get a model from the mainboard manufacturer.

The mounting holes + slots positions should be correct though, I agree.

Everything went well until I tried to find the exact specs of the PCI-E standard. Well this "open" standard isn't as open as it seems at first, you need to enter a club to get the blue prints, which is very very expensive. Sure I could have guessed the positions close enough by measuring one of my mainboards, but that's not the point of a reference model, or is it.

And I figured the mounting holes would be easy enough to draw for anyone. If you want to I'll upload my version minus the PCI-E slots.... Or find me a copy of said blue prints. I'd be happy to draw complete reference models for the mainboard, various slots and cards then. With the incomplete material of the ATX standard alone I cannot be arsed, the PCI-E slots and cards are way to important today. :)

Last edited: 14 Jul 2010
  6. fitZ

fitZ What's a Dremel?

I agree, and as you note here, that is not the point.

You are correct. From what I've seen in other fields, its the "standard" developers who make money regardless of the economy.:D And yes, they are expensive. I once asked an Acoustician to explain a certain concept of which he replied he could not without violating his legal compliance with a Standards company. It took a while before I understood those kind of standards, but this "open" concept appears to bear the same foundations as political accountability.:wallbash:

No, it isn't it. However, one of the problems I have here is, without having physical ownership of various related items, it is impossible to accurately plan various aspects, such as cooling systems, as these are directly related to the physical space restraints of existing components in the housing, which contains pre built air supply/exhaust plenums, not to mention the actual space constraints and alignment with computer components. I would be very expensive to actally purchase various components only to find out later they will not work, simply because you had no correct graphical representation to use in the planning stages. Frankly, I would bet the whole modding community must rely on post purchase design and sometimes discover those items purchased will not work within the pre purchase concept.
    Although I am new to modding, that is not my interest as I am not a gamer, nor am I designing some kind of gaming case mod.
    The project at hand is very not oriented towards the modding or case building aspect of this forum. However, it does require some aspects. Hence my posting here.
    Oh, from this I assume you are the creator of one or more of these models, no?

Sure, as long as it reflects real world AXT motherboard dimensions and mounting hole dimensions. Otherwise, what good would it do. If I can't provide correct drawings to the fabricator, which I cannot do without correct Motherboard standard layout points, I guess the next best thing will simply be to purchase a few of these components and measure them. Unfortunately, if they don't fit within the existing parameters, I could possible be working for nothing, as the cost of components that do not work could quickly eat up my allowance for this project, which at the outset, wasn't supposed to be this difficult. And wouldn't be, if access to correctly dimensioned components were available.

Besides, I would think others could benifit from this as well if the standards can be found.

Me too. I completely agree.

Well, all I can say now is I'll do some research on these standards. In some respects, this is the same problem people have with component compatibility. Only mine requires compatibility with existing components that must physically interface. Thanks for the reply.
    fitZ

7. Aterius Gmork

Ah reading through my post again I noticed I might have came off a bit snobbish, maybe even insulting at one point. That was in no way aimed at you but is due to English being my second language. I've had this problem here before and am trying to improve, but I do not always succeed. Sorry.

You have brought up a very important topic I think. Here is a template for the mounting holes. I double checked it right now, should be alright.

Also I did stumble upon a file I must have accuired a long time ago: The PCI-E standard 1.1. It includes blue prints for the slots, position on the mainboards and card design. The only mechanical difference between 1.1 and 2 is the way cards are fastened to the slot if I remember correctly. This minor detail can be guesswork again though, if at all it would be required for artistic purposes. Can anyone confirm this?

This is what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

Edit: Started on the PCI slot. Here's a question, although it won't doo much good for my credibility:

[​IMG]

So from my understanding a PCI slot would be 3.400 inches long. .095 + 2.490 + .070 + .590 + .050 = 3.245 inches. Drawn out that would look like this:

[​IMG]

However I haven't seen a single PCI slot in all the years I am working with computers that looked like this. The slot is at about .050 too long from the looks of it. Where's my mistake? :wallbash:

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

You're working in Imperial units, that can't help! ;)

9. Aterius Gmork

I know. Maybe our American friends count different than us. :D

10. DarthDVD_AU

DarthDVD_AU Whats a dremel compaired to a lazer

My latest Project... completely by me... unlike the last one (an update and mod of 2 other peoples work still gave them full credit)

ok... having problems with flikr.... grrrrr.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2010
  11. Vehement

Vehement What's a Dremel?

I have a motherboard model coming soon which is pretty accurate. The positioning of the slots should be accurate to 1mm.

Im hoping to model an accurate PCI-E graphics card soon as a reference model. I could break the models down into a basic reference model if anyone wants it?

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am in the process of adding all your items to the collection.
    I've created all the preview images, and they're uploading at the moment. I will need to do something clever to add them all in one go, but I will do so soon.

Thanks so much for allowing them to be added.:thumb:

13. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Great topic fellows. Having the same problems with a project I just started working on. M-ITX sff doesn't leave a lot of room to simply guess about things. So I've got to have the physical components in hand for measurements, and it's a pain to return items that won't fit. After market cpu coolers are a gamble considering how close everything is on the mobo, top and underside! Thats just one example. All I can say is thanks for all your efforts. I'm going to be working on the Gigabyte H55N-USB3 board. I'll be seeking your advise so when a get a good basic model it will be usable for everyone. Won't be no fancy deal, just want it to be accurate! Scale rules :D

14. Aterius Gmork

15. SolidSnake

SolidSnake What's a Dremel?

Sry for breaking up here. But I wanted to show my case again.

Please don´t see this as spam I just want to know what you guys think of this.

[​IMG]

16. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Very impressive SolidSnake, what's the filesize on that?

17. SolidSnake

Uncompressed 20,9 MB
    Compressed 5,18 MB

18. F3RR3T

F3RR3T What's a Dremel?

im currently working on finishing the ASUS Rampage III extreme.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2010
  19. SolidSnake

It´s finnaly done.

[​IMG]

Send it to jezmck yesterday via email.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  20. cansi22

cansi22 What's a Dremel?