1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. scooby

scooby Minimodder

While doing some research at Thremalright's site I was able to find some great tech drawings so I decided to do a few. This is the latest one I've done so far.

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. This one is setup to mount on a Intel 775 board.

[​IMG]

I'm still playing with KT...so theirs a shot.

[​IMG]

Thermalright has a new killer CPU cooler...the IFX-14 Inferno Fire Extinguisher I'll give it a go next...this bugger is huge!!! Jez should have the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme up soon for everybody so stand by.

TY Jez;)

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

My first render using KT
    [​IMG]
    god my computer is sssslllloooowwww

3. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Well done Beast, it looks like Cycsis isn't the only thing we have to upgrade for. I have a tip for you Beast, when rendering and to kind of gauging that you have all your tweaks set I put my "Resolution" aroung 800x600 and in the "Settings" I choose "03 PhotonMap - Quick". This makes the draft rendering very fast then when your satisfied and ready for you final rendering (that takes forever) go back to the defult setting and select your resolution. When it comes to rendering programs I've learned that it is all about crunching the numbers.

After reading the Get Started pdf and if you don't know yet KT sopports dual core prossesing.

TIP:
    Hey Beast, at the SU forum I know a few guys their that use SU for their woodworking projects have you chacked them out yet. BTW love your clock bro.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2007
  4. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

That Aidan Chopra book is certainly good value for new users. Bet the more experienced would pick up a trick or two as well.

Am getting a fair bit of noise in my test renders. Similar to the barb flats in Marci's post 1527 red render.
    Not having much success dialing it out yet. Any tips?

5. scooby

scooby Minimodder

What are your rendering setting Jedda? Can you post a sample pic of what you've done so far?

I juat got some advise from some of the KT gugus at SU forum and I'm doing a new rendering of the Theralright 120 Extreme. The method they gave me makes the lighting look more natural and the piece looks even more like a photo. I will post the result soon as it done rendering.

6. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

Higher detail renders required basically... I only get them when using low res photonmap quick renders (all my posted renders have been Photonmap Medium @ 800x600 with no AA so far - PC here too slow to tolerate any others). If I select a lengthy render then they vanish. At a guess it's the bump-map for the material in use is too detailed for the resolution that it's rendering at or similar...
    EDIT: altho could be wrong - tutorials at kerky's site put it down to irridiance maps etc - have a look at the Global Illumination Tutorial for Kerkythea - http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=startdown&id=7

@Scooby - been hunting for tutorials on springs n' screw threads with little luck... any pointers in the right direction?
    EDIT: n/mind - found n' sussed it...

Last edited: 25 Oct 2007
  7. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Just be aware that when doing your final rendering choosing the highest setting will add dramaticlly to the rendering time. Depending on how big or detailed your piece is the settings you can see below will give you a pretty fast render. That said, because it is a low level render it will not look as polished as you want it to be, I use this for tweaking for the final rendering.

[​IMG]

Here is my test rendering using the tip I got from the guys at the SU/KT forum. Notice how much it is starting to look like a photograph. I must say that lighting plays a big part in this kind of rendering.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this inspires you more...it did me. Enjoy!!!

Marci, I'll send you the tutotial SU file for you to try and if you don't mind posting it here so others can try it out too. Can you show me what you found for springs n' screw threads, doing springs are easy...doing screw threadings are another story. I have tried but it doesn't come out the way I'd like it to, so if you found something let me know.:thumb:

8. Teyber

Teyber ******

wow... a little more AA and i think it would look real... i mean literally hardly distinguishable!

9. Marci

3pointlights.skp by any chance??

Springs: helix.rb & drawhelix13.rb (as you already know at a guess - altho finding the rb file was a pain)
    Screws: HERE - see reply by Sam Cox - contains 2x tutorial files. Replies by catamountain - contains 4 more files. Watchout for links to elsewhere in their forums - they'll all 404 since they shifted over from vBulletin forums to GoogleGroups.

Am currently working on Sketchup Components of the entire LiteStructures Astralite Catalog... final aim being to reproduce their MaxiStage (I use it for a Music Festival that I organise, and need to virtualise the park we hold it in with stages etc in various positions for presentations to Council etc, virtualise floodlighting for crowd control scenarios etc - hopefully once done I'll post the entire park overview onto Google Earth, but tis taking a while...)

[​IMG]

The current setting positions the above stage alongside a static bandstand that I've been quick-sketching from photos - still lots of work to do before it's anywhere near right...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Oct 2007
  10. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Yes my friend that is it (3PointLights)...we must be linked or something. What freaked me out even more is I kinda do the same thing here too, I'm a AV sound tech. We do concerts, conferences and most anything that deals with lighting and sound reenforcement. That is just to weird bro.

Wish I was there for your Music Festival, well maybe some day.

Excellent fine on the threadings bro now we can SCREW!!!!!LOL!!!!

11. Marci

Both scrutinizing the same forums for goodies :D I got it from the backdrop / floor color n' materials in yer render (which is looking rather funki!)

Hehe - I'm a born n' bred Sound Engineer... generally monitor engineering is my forte. Staging and lighting just became part o' the job when I got involved in staging this festival back in `98... www.themusiccollective.co.uk for more info...

12. The_Beast

When I did me first render I was still a noob and didn't know all the settings so I choose 200x200 with a full AA render (talk about slow) and I didn't want to do another just because it wasn't centered. Now before I render I choose a 200x200 with a low ray trace or AA to make sure everything it right then go up to a 500x500 or a larger res

I love that clock too, it was a project for school and it needed to be hand drawn, plus I didn't have StetchUp when I did that project

I need a new computer, celeron with 256mb ram isn't cutting it

13. The_Beast

oh yeah right now I working my house which is a log cabin and it is getting pretty hard getting everything just right

Has anyone found a wood material for KT???

14. Marci

Last edited: 26 Oct 2007
  15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

How did you set up the background to come out that way? :O

16. scooby

scooby Minimodder

If you download 3pointlights.skp in Marci's post #1549. This is what I used for that render I just replaced the two boxes with my CPU heatsink. Those big white rectangles act as reflectors and (hard to see it in the pic) there are three lighting points and the red background. Here is a pictue of what the setup looks like.

[​IMG]

I hope this helps you AG, if you have any other Qs just ask.:thumb:

17. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

thanx! Gonna try it out now. :thumb:

18. Teyber

Teyber ******

help with kerk! i cannot get the "pluggins" thingy to work in sketchup! ive downloaded kerk and su2kt and such into the pluggins folder of sketchup, but no changes occur in sketchup. Any advice for installing?
    thanks

19. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

Probably old news to you all but I've found a script called 'curve connect' a bit useful when creating WC tubing.
    Best bit is it's a free one Here at SMustard.:D

20. Marci

You don't download either into the plugins folder. You download em anywhere you like, then run them, and then they install themselves in the correct location as they're both executable files. When you install SU2KT, it'll ask you where your Sketchup folder is, that's all. Once done, you'll get 4 extra blue buttons in Sketchup.