1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News "Sony and MS don't understand MMOs"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Ms wants a cut of profits it's why ff14 won't be released on 360 as
    it stands, I'd expect a ps3 release as Sony doesn't expect such things

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

All console manufacturers take a cut of the profits - its how they make money on the consoles and, from what I've heard, Sony and MS are fairly matched in their demands, while Nintendo is a bit greedier.

4. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Or maybe they don't understand how the console business works.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

dear god first i've heard of a star trek mmo

i think now would be the time to announce FAIL!!

do you start off as one of the people behind the doors that makes a 'vvvvrrrmmm' noise as people walk close you get a level up after opening the door 100 times also is there just 1000's of people walking around in red tops

kidding aside i do like star trek i just cant envision a MMO around it

ill go look at teh website though

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I'll rather not have FF14, but an online service that works......! cant seem to get on PSN lately, even after many router/modem reboots and putting my ps3 in the DMZ. I can browse just fine, but PSN just wont work :(

7. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Maybe they should go back to selling consoles for extortionate prices then and lower the price on games? I mean in the end it doesn't matter right? At least it would be level with prices of PC hardware (which has come down A LOT too).

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Never had issues with

xbl or psn

Both are wireless

Not a huge fan of either service

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I think the larger problem is that developers do not understand STAR TREK, including the makers of the last two movies, which were utter disasters to the ST timeline and canon.

I do hope that the game will be as deep and complex as it needs to be to be called Star Trek, putting it on the console though is the kiss of death, totally different audience and the obvious MBA Suit money grab.

Yours in anti-MBA Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

10. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

No, that's the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game. You only have to annoy 10 people before you level up though. (to a lift?)

11. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I don't know, I enjoy star trek, but it is mostly just Deus ex tech. I also thought the latest star trek film was pretty damned good. (there again DS9 was my favourite series - so I seem to be at odds with most star trek fans ;))

I've played champions online with a controller, and the combat works great, as does moving about, but trying to hand in quests, and navigate menus, crafting e.t.c was really really difficult. I doubt they could do much to improve that either

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I liked "Nemesis", haven't seen the newest movie yet. I think an MMO would be a little difficult to tackle though. Would players start out in the academy and slowly work their way up through the ranks to become captain of a frigate? Then if they continue to do well over time, they might actually captain a galaxy class vessel? Sounds like a slow progression to me. I don't think a player should be able to start outright as a captain of a starfleet vessel.

Tags: Add Tags