1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony considering external PS3 HDD?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

"We want your money money! We want your money money! We want your money money! MONEY! NOW!"

3. bowman

bowman Minimodder

'Currently, PlayStation 3 users can attach external drives using a USB attachment'

So what's the problem? Who wants insanely overpriced 'officially endorsed' hard drives?

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It'll be pretty? I suppose some people aren't as tech competent as the user base here and would be intimidated going on line and trying to find one that works. If you buy the Sony one you can be reasonably certain it'll "just work", that is why you bought a console after all.

5. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

LOL! Totally Argee

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'd be far more tempted to stick a 320GB 2.5" drive in the machine than have something hanging out of the front of the console via USB. However, while Sony do allow you the option, it's hardly something that "Joe Average" is going to want to do.

As long as the Official drive has a proper 'off' switch. I greatly dislike external drives that don't have the ability to turn them off without unplugging them. :(

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Personally, when i buy my ps3 in the comming months, im going to do what mikeuk is doing, and buying a WD scorpio 320gb hdd, and swap it with the 40gb one in it. Much simpler in my opinion, but, what steveo says is absolutly true, right down to the fine print.

Sam

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Please don't say that. Nor should you refer to Joe Bloggs, Everyday Joe, Joe Public or any variation thereof.

Asking for a Hot Cup of Joe is also prohibited.

9. Paradigm Shifter

I apologise. It's a phrase I've used for too many years for me to stop completely, however, so it might still occasionally slip through. ;)

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

That's all kinds of wrong.

Back to the subject at...err...hand, it would be nice if they at least made an enclosure that 'matched' the PS3 in some way - it's got fairly unique styling, and having a square USB HDD plugged into it would sort of ruin it - maybe a 2.5" enclosure in the same shape as the PS3 itself?

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

If they had made the PS3 a reasonable shape that would have been nice too :p

The 360 and the PS3 are both such awkward shapes and refuse to stack. I gave up and put mine upright behind my TV. You can't even see the thing!

12. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

Thinking of picking up a ps3 this summer, the external drive thing... Could I attach the external drive I currently use for backups etc for my pc to the ps3 and stream video off of it really easily?

Also can an external drive be used for saving etc?

As for aesthetics, I have a MyBook which I think will fit quite well next to the ps3.

13. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Joe...what's wrong with those phrases!? You copyrighting them or somethin?!

14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

console games are overpriced, so they need another way to make money, *drum rolls* accessoires enter the arena:D.

15. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Does anyone knows if it can boot the PS3 Linux distributions from the USB drive?
    500GB external, aren't that expensive.......

16. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Why would anyone want a 320GB drive in a PS3 ? Would you ever fill it.

Ive barely touched the capacity on my 40GB.. It was the same when I had a 20GB XBOX. Until movies on demand actually works and isnt locked down via DRM bull, then I swear the PS3 and XBOX could make do with a 20GB HD for the vast majority of owners.

As for the rest (1%) Im sure an external HD would suffice just fine.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I had nearly filled my 60GB drive, so I backed it up onto another drive (that has be formatted fat32 btw, not exfat), then swapped the hdd for a 320GB WD one. Needed a format, which took a few seconds and bigno, around 300gigs is available (the PS3 nabs some of it for nefarious uses unknown). Restored off the external drive and away it went, everything as it was, but with far more storage space. Pain loaded straight off the bat.

With home coming and perhaps iptv, the latter particularly will eat 40GB in no time. It's dead easy to swap, too. Just got to make sure you at least back up your savegames.

18. Paradigm Shifter

I've got a 60GB PS3, and I've managed to chew up 42GB of it with just the game install files. I can never be bothered to delete the game install files, so they just stay on there. Plus, if I had more space, I'd probably experiment with linux on it. :)

19. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

It's not like you can't backup your save files for the games you know you won't play for a while and secondly, get YDL 6.0 Linux for PS3, it's awesome! There's tons of support for it on YDL's forums.....

20. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I think Sony knows how to price their products unlike M$.

Tags: Add Tags