1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony decapitates goats to promote God Of War II

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Double You Tee Eff.

I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous.

3. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

This really isnt helping their reputation, and that is just stupid, why would they even think doing such a thing would be good marketing?

4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

If you knew David Jaffe, you would totally understand all this.

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Then again it has achieved one of the primary goals of marketing, everyone now knows God of War 2 is lauching. Still wonder what they were taking when they thought up the idea though.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Everyone knew God of War II was launching anyway. I've not even tried either games, but I knew they were out and supposed to be very good.

All they've done is pissed off Daily Mail readers. Good for them, but if Jack Thompson finds out then it'll bite them in the ass. I may pass it on to him, just to spite Sony's attitude to European customers.

N'ah.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I know this was crazy from a PR perspective, I know it's enraged the daily hate sheeps. But people....let's get one thing straight:

This was awesome

Sony have definitely gone up in my eyes for pulling something so utterly crazy.

8. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

QFT.

9. Perforated

Perforated What's a Dremel?

"Guests were then encouraged by topless women to reach in and grab some offal from the still warm corpse as a party snack."

There were boobies, and you give us a shot of a guy in an apron? :(

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

11. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Meh.

thousands of people die every day and we're getting all uppity about the killing of one goat??
    Its not even like it was a 'senselesss' killing either, folks were eating it.
    If that's senseless then we'd better all stop eating burgers, chicken etc... :D

As has been said, there's no such thing as bad press...

12. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

No publicity is bad publicity as far as games sales are concerned - And they have certainly managed to get more publicity than a normal games sales meeting would have achieved.

I personally would not have seen any ads for this game, or looked at it if I saw an ad or even have heard about this except for this.

So while there will be a lot of noise for a little while, the game is being widely publicised.

13. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

That's pretty funny actually, I wonder why they did something so crazy with the UK launch though. I don't think they did anything when it launched here in the US.

14. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

QFT!

Seriously, I wish I was there tbh :rock:

All the stupid hippies need to stfu, besides, if you actually read the statement from Sony linked to in CardJoe's post you'll see that the story reported in the UK was just sensationalism (as most things are nowadays :rolleyes: )

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

exactly. and i bet its the eu government that's paying the press to badmouth gaming.... afterall, they are the ones that want to ban games and therefore need to increase support for their crazy theories.

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:lol:

(I too looked at the picture and went :confused: )

As was stated in the story linked by Joe: This happened two months ago and what actually happened was hardly like the impression the story gave.

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

From CardJoe: http://kotaku.com/gaming/meat-soup/goatgate-sonys-side-of-the-story-256325.php

We all may have a certain distaste for Sony lately, but who're you going to believe, SCEE or the Daily Mail?

I'd take SCEE any day.

Honestly, this story seems to be nothing more than tabloid sensationalism, and bit-tech never struck me as being an online tabloid before, nor do I think it should be.
    Is this really a fitting story for bit-tech to present, especially in such a one-sided, sensationalist manner?
    Does bit-tech really want to come across as being in the same boat as the Daily Mail?

I hope not.. It'd be more than a little bit disappointing. :blah:

Last edited: 1 May 2007
  18. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

There's nothing better than topless chicks and a decapitated goat :thumb:

19. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

EDIT: I just read the story on the link two posts above this one, and I think I just excuted a perfect example of society: We're all so eager to attack and blame people that we don't even ask: "Could there be another side of the story." I will keep my main post below because it still makes good satirical commentary, but if that link is accurate with its information then ... ... well ... *grabs crowbar to remove his foot from his mouth*
    ---------------------------
    Okay. In the USA, video games tend to be on shakey ground already. I mean Hot Coffee put the country in an uproar, Wal-Mart and similar brands won't even carry M games. And now Sony goes and makes this blunder?
    I mean beyond the fact that they needlessly slaughtered a goat. (I mean you couldn't pit roast a pig or something?) And the nudity and such. There's the much bigger issue:

Someone approved this idea. So the meeting must have been like this:
    #1: Hey, we need to really really promote God of War II!
    #2: Any ideas?
    #3: Topless women could sell games!
    #2: Good, I like that.
    #1: But let's make it in the era of the game, so that it looks tasteful.
    #2: That makes sense.
    #4: What about adding a Goat Sacrifice, letting people touch the entrails, and then having the whole thing in Athens?
    *long pause, cricket chirp*
    #2: Johnson, you've just recieved a promotion.

My point in that satire is this: WHO THE [insert profanity of choice here] THOUGHT THAT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?!

If I was the Father of PlayStation, I'd be happy I retired before this fiasco.

(God Of War II is an excellent game, and I'm a fan of the PS1 and PS2, but between the price, poor marketing, and like of tier 1 games for the PS3 (Even Army of Two isn't exclusive anymore) I see less and less reason to have faith in Sony and their company as a whole.

Any fanboy, or educated soul who'd care to correct me. Go for it.

:duh: :wallbash:

Last edited: 30 Apr 2007
  20. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

There are stores that don't carry M rated games? I bought GoW fromt he Wal Mart by me, they card everyone that buys an M rated game but I hadn't heard any stores actually stopped carrying them.

Tags: Add Tags