1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony issues custom firmware ultimatum

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 15 Nov 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Sony's response to console modification has convinced me to never purchase another Sony console again. If they paid attention to the modding scene they would know that a spoof will be out in no time to counter this.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Why bother with a crackdown so late in the products life cycle?
    Just bring out a new console already and let people do with their ps3 whatever they want.

4. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Because, to quote the Joker, "it's about sending a message." A lot of these players will transfer to Sony's next gen console and Sony have to show that they will not stand for this. Also remember that not everyone will drop their PS3 and go buy next gen straight away, if at all. Furthermore I would suggest that it will most likely be at least a year before the next console comes out.

5. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

It will be interesting to see just how much the next sony console costs as their consoles are usually the most expensive and as the power of PC's has increased for the same money over the years you can now buy a PC that can play games pretty well for the price of a new sony console and have the advantages of a PC :rolleyes:

6. Sub-particle 0.76

Sub-particle 0.76 What's a Dremel?

If they want to play online, most of these people are willing to cough up for another PS3. Xbox scene proves that. What they do not want however is paying over the odds for every single games they like that come out.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Sony are just cracking down on piracy before it catches on with the more mainstream ps3 users. I think what they are doing is a good form on anti piracy, because it actually doesnt affect legitimate users in any way.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

I don't think Sony are doing so well financially, would be a shame to see them disappear completely.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So you won't buy a Sony console. You cannot buy a Microsoft console either, because they have exactly the same response (mod your console, get your console banned from XBOX Live forever). Will you buy Wii then ? :lol:

10. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Forks and eyes sounds better than a WiiU

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I don't know why people spit out so much hate towards this approach. Sure, in the beginning there was the option to boot Linux and all that, but let's face it... most people used all of the possibilities to hack and cheat and that's why Sony stopped supporting it.

The fault is the mass of users who exploited, not Sony.

If you want to mod, cheat or exploit... go play PC-games. Consoles are closed ecosystems. Period.

12. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I support this as a PS3 player who is tired of running into cheaters online. I do feel sympathy for those who might mod their system without the intent to cheat anyone who they might be playing with and has other reasons for doing so but seriously, why do I have to play Dark Souls and run into people who have god mode online or Killzone where it's just clear people are hacking. I shouldn't have to deal with it just because the console is coming to the end of it's lifespan. I hope this stands true for their next console from the very start. I use my console to game and it already has the ability to access the web as well as the computers on my network to stream audio/video, I don't really see what it's missing.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Lol no. I think they're all terrible.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

As a legitimate user who isn't affected by this I agree. It's a good way to keep away the "i serched how 2 pirate ps3 2 play black ops 4 free" crowd without making everything a massive DRM nightmare.

15. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

ps3 is and was my last console. PC Cheesecake!

16. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

sony is not doing bad... maybe they lost this generation in consoles but remember they in everything, TV, Fridges, microwaves, audio everything and many other electronics. gaming is not as most ppl in gaming scene think is their biggest... its actually one of their small - mid size departments. sony is more more more than fine.

not to say they will throw money at a losing department tho. will u if "your" gaming department is not making money? exactly like microsoft, is xbox fails, the company is still not gonna do bad with all their other stuff.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

[​IMG]

I don't think they'll be panicking just yet...

18. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

^That is in Yen I think, in case anyone is wondering.

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yep, multiply by 0.0123 to convert to dollars, 0.0078 for sterling.

That's total assets of over £100,000,000,000. :eeek:

Tags: Add Tags