1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: PS3 will dominate market in five years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Unless Ninty and Microsoft release a new console within the next 5 years, I don't think so. Not out of flaming, but out of existing sales figures.

February for example (US Sales):

Wii 700,000+
    360's - 400,000
    PS3 - 275,000

And from what I gather it's been consistently like this for some time. Sony have a long road to travel...

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

make it a normal looking set top box pls. kthxbai.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

By then the Wii 2 will definately be out, and probably the 720 (or whatever it's going to be called) will be out as well, and the PS3 will be old hat. The only way it can survive is if Sony can build the kind of base the PS2 has, and to be honest I don't think that's going to happen simply down to how the PS3 hasn't attracted the range of devs the PS2 did.

5. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

lol low asperations at sony

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

lol whut?

PS3 as the dominant console? have they ever looked at Wii sales numbers? Even if Nintendo would stop selling the Wii immediately there would be no chance for Sony to sell enough Ps3's to catch up before the next gen of consoles comes.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the guy is smoking some nice weed...

8. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

I wonder if he's banking on Blu-Ray taking off more, and positioning the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, in order to get to be "dominant"? Then again, there's nothing stopping MS from adding Blu-Ray on - in fact, they're probably just biding their time waiting for the right moment. Maybe. Who knows.

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Wouldnt MS have to get 'permission' from sony first before they make a blu ray player?

10. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

Wouldnt MS have to get 'permission'

Couldn't they just buy the bits off the shelf like everyone else?

11. sear

sear Guest

You guys do realise that in 3-5 years, it'll be 2012-2014, right? And by then, the PlayStation 3 will be a last-gen console... nice.

12. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

They'd need a licence, but I doubt Sony could legitimately refuse to grant it.

13. reaper1984

reaper1984 What's a Dremel?

Hilarious. Sony has made so many strategic errors with the PS3. Blu-Ray will never take off like DVD as the online distribution model gathers pace. The hardcore gamer is playing on the Xbox 360 and the PC, while the casual gamer has the Wii. What's the PS3's niche? Sony can't pull the plug on it, but this arrogant certainess that they will dominate is rather annoying.

14. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

I reckon Sony have plans to miniaturise the PS3, in the same vane as the Psone, and sell it to automotive manufacturers, that would boost total sales figures somewhat!

15. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

am I the only one who's lost all excitement for consoles in this generation?
    let me explain my point:

NES - great
    SNES - even better

N64 - revolutionary 3d worlds
    PS - greatest variety and very good games

PS2 - perfect system
    GAMECUBE - ahem... + reusing old formulas
    XBOX - nice first try from msoft, but I wasn't blown away

PS3 - boring, lack of cool games/innovation
    XBOX360 - boring, lack of cool games/innovation
    WII - still reusing old formulas (except the motion thing, but I prefer to play sitting down, and not moving around like crazy & getting tired... that's just personal preference though)

honestly, this generation, I'm having so much more fun just playing Crysis with my GTX260.
    the only thing that is motivating me is the OpenCL and physics breakthrough.

so, once again I state my question... am I the only one?

Last edited: 30 Apr 2009
  16. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

So I guess the overpowered and overpriced console is still biting their bottom.

People don't want excellence. They just want something that works adequately and is cheap. A super sportscar doesn't sell in large quantities either. Only a select few riches own one.

It's the same thing over and over again in each article about the PS3. I'm puzzled as to why Sony still doesn't get it. But I guess they can't go back now when they have their heads so deeply up their bottoms on this one.

Market dominance.. hahaha..

17. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Ten years of shelf life? I really doubt it... I mean, if you consider the CellBE CPU, it could be debatable, but as far as the RSX goes, it's outdated already as we speak (it's based on the obsolete geforce 7-series GPUs). Not to mention that in 4 or 5 years video consoles will probably have GPGPU support or similar.
    I've always thought they were going to release a (more compact) PS4 with an updated RSX and more system RAM, but keeping the CellBE CPU.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2009
  18. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

QFT

The list of consoles that I've owned:

Master system
    SNES
    PS1
    PS2
    No plans to buy a PS3 / XB0X360. And unless their next-gen brothers do significantly more than ramp up the graphics power, I won't buy those either.
    The trouble with consoles is that, PC graphics cards have gone crazy, improving faster than Moore's law, and relatively affordable to boot. If the consoles had an element of upgradability, I might be more inclined to purchase one

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

aint gonna happen, next generation is just going to mean better gfx and more meh/easy games.

the latest VG cats sums up the industry nicely

[​IMG]

20. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

In a parallel universe, the PS3 maybe is the best selling console, but unfortunately for Sony.. in this universe the following happened :

- MS convinced IBM to build them the Xenon CPU which uses the same PPC core as the Sony chip, then throws 2 more in for good measure... which resulted in a CPU comparable in performance to the PS3's new cell overall. Sony thought they would be a generation ahead of MS in the planning phase.

- The GPU solution that the 360 chose to use was on par with the PS3, so no real graphical advantages.

- The 360 was 1 year+ ahead with regards to time to market, despite initial planning by Sony to be the 1st - the PS3 waited for Bluray lasers to become available / affordable... but was it worth it ?

- Nintendo thought outside the box, and invented a new control mechanism - coupled with 2 gamecubes strapped together they had a low cost (underpowered) console which turned out to be a whole bag of fun to use and tapped the casual (single game purchase!) market to make millions!

In the end the PS3 was NOT far ahead enough in terms of technology than the 360, and just about every game released on the consoles is the same as the 360 version.

In order to win this race, they needed to distinguish themselves via technology and thus delivered games. It just didnt happen. Even with the RROD too to help them!

So back to this universe.. where it all went wrong for Sony, the only thing they can do now to compete is reduce the price as they dont have any other advantages. Bluray players will soon be so cheap that it will no longer be an option for people to consider the PS3 instead of a stand alone player .. so that wont save it.

I have a wii, a PS3 and a 360 so am a fanboy of all, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that with very few exclusives and a comparable technology set and game library, your only option is to compete on price.

Do I believe the PS3 will catch up...... No.

The next MS console will be here in less than 3 years, and Sony better have an answer for it...

sui_winbolo likes this.
Tags: Add Tags