1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spelltower updated 6/16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Draeth1, 23 May 2005.

1. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Starting out with this idea in mind I began on the base unit first, if I couldn't get it to look nice or stay together then I was going to scrap the project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These pieces inside are to give it some extra strength when the tower is sitting on top.
    [​IMG]
    Bondo'ing the base to get it flat.
    [​IMG]
    Some minor imperfections here, but until I find some spot putty they'll be pushed aside. Since I got this far and it doesn't look that bad I started on the case frame.
    Using a combination of aluminum L bars and steel I started making it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I grabbed a mobo plate I cut out of an old case and stuck it in. I was going to have it go up the side but once I got the frame made it just wouldn't work with a w/c setup also.
    [​IMG]
    Here's where everything will be going. I'm working on the brace for the PSU and I am trying to come up with a way to mount the radiator. Might just drop down some thin steel bars to mount it to since the back will be sheet styrene and too weak to hold up this radiator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is one of the res's I'll be using and where it will be going. I'm also working on a proper way to mount these so they don't wobble. hmmm zip ties or metal braces again?
    Also I'll want all of the panels removable (except the back plate) so I can get to everything easily. So I'll be gluing in some short bolts to the frame and using either dome nuts or dog collar spikes to hold them on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The side panels will probably be done out of sheet styrene also. Not as sturdy but easier to work with. Especially if I want to cut this image from Neverwinter into one (or both) of the sides.
    [​IMG]
    And thats where I'm at now, finishing up the frame. Feel free to post and suggestions or recommendations. I'm easily swayed for things that are easier or better looking.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2005
  2. CaPs_On

CaPs_On What's a Dremel?

That looks promising. Looks good so far:)

3. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

That looks like a mini fridge in the sketches :D

So very nice start. Good luck! :)

4. emwee

emwee What's a Dremel?

looks cool already - keep it up :rock:

5. Rufus-Seal

Rufus-Seal Guest

Woow! Very original! I wish you much luck when building this beauty!

6. Xhiz

Xhiz What's a Dremel?

Looks like a nice idea, keep modding I wanna see more :dremel:

7. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Worked on it some last night trying to make some braces for the res's. Tried just using zip ties but they looked like crap and didn't really secure it. So I cut some metal strips and tried bending it around the res's, didn't want to try too hard becase they might scratch or crack. But luckily the diameter are the same as an olympic weight bar's diameter so I used that to pound them down and make them nice and round. The next step is to attempt to use sculpey and make some kind of cover for them so you can't see the hose barbs or caps, just the tube. There will be hose barbs on the bottoms also, they just aren't on right now as you can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So which do you all like better the spikes or the studs on the pictures up above this post?

Last edited: 3 Jun 2005
  8. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

Spikes

9. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Yeah the spikes give it a bit more character. Cool looking mod so far! Should end up great, keep up the good work.

Edit: I would say neither to the spikes or round lugs question personally, I think they kind of detract from the vertical lines in the case, but if to choose one, go with spikes.

10. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Well I'd rather have neither also but I'd like each of the front panels individually removable so I can get to the parts inside. The only panel that will be secured on will be the back one since I wouldn't be able to work around the mobo panel, radiator, and PSU back there anyways. If someone can suggest a way to attach the panels so they wouldn't rattle, fall off, or have visible seam lines I would listen. :) The only thing I can think of is velcro or magnetic strips. The velcro is out because I think it would allow noise and light to escape, the magnetic strips are out for obvious reasons.

11. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

go on go on it nice:p

12. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Good work. Keep it up.

Looking gr8

13. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

All i got to say is I hate people like you :D Who make completely custom cases from scratch. ERG makes me so jealous :wallbash: :rock: :hehe: Keep up the sick work! BTW spikes!

*EDIT* I was just kidding bout hating you :D

14. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

looking good keep it up

15. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

You can glue mag strips on the styrene and vecro isn`t too bad for noise and vibrations. But a solution can be to atach screws to the bars (welding? gluing?), holes to pass thru in the styrene and some dome nuts.

16. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the positive responses (except for being hated by waitandbleed :D ) I thought that having magnetic strips attached to a metal case wouldn't be good for all the electronics in there. Are the magnets not powerful enough to do any harm.
    And actually this case was pretty simple to put together if any of you want to try a scratch case. The hard part is finding where you want to put everything, and in my case getting the supports bent to exactly 130,150 and 80 degrees.

I've been JB Welding together the psu and radiator mount so hopefully I'll have something to show before I take memorial day weekend off. :)

17. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Finished gluing all the supports on and just waiting for it to dry now.
    [​IMG]
    I've got the weights on there to hold the parts flat against braces underneath to make sure the pieces don't warp or glue together unaligned with the back. I was actually planning on cutting off that piece sticking out from the PSU holder but it was actually the right length to use it as another mounting point so I glued it to the radiator support. And now the small space it makes at the top is just about the right size for a fanbus I was planning on using also. I love it when things work out by accident :)
    Also I got in my fans.
    [​IMG]
    The two turbine will be on the radiator and the two white ones will be mounted on the top as exhaust. I should be receiving my fan grill filters for the radiator and the fillport today. Once I get something built to mount a pump on (in the space in front of the motherboard) I'll try filling it and test the setup.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2005
  18. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

I did as best I could with what they have at work (no photoshop here)
    and came up with this.
    [​IMG]
    Which colors do you like best? I want 2 colors for this case and personally I'm leaning towards white and uv/purple, because purple and white is used less than red/blue/green. Remeber I've already got 2 120mm white LED fans, but can easily change those colors.

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Do I see some absolutelu nice modding there or what?! Nice work, keep goin'!

:dremel:

20. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

white and purple seem to be a nice combination, especially with the white fans.