1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Spray paint for plastic (with dye effect so it wont scratch easy)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dynamis_dk, 2 Apr 2021.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I've got an Anker PowerWave Magnetic Pad charger that I want to use in a car project but its very light/white so it needs to get black :)

Thats the one so you can see what I'm up against - https://us.anker.com/products/a2560

I've got some black thin 3M sheet that I can stick over the front so that would do as a stop gap but ideally I'd like to just spray paint the whole thing black.

Is there a product which is spray but has a dye type property so it kind of soaks or etches into the plastic. I've never sprayed any plastic so I'm not sure how it works compared to say spraying alu or anything.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

vinyl dye?

3. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

hmm yeah, didn't spring to mind earlier when I was doing a bit of digging. Everyone was suggesting liquid submersion based dyes but yeah, I expect that'd just do the trick.

Do you have any experience with a specific brand which is know to be good stuff?

4. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

primer, color coat and about 2 gallons of clear

plastic by nature wont soak or dye, its freakin oil and some of them won't even glue (seriously go glue a milk jug or a cutting board) you can prime them with something that eats into the plastic (fusion works well as a primer and a color coat, just go light on each coat) and clear coat the crap out out it, cause even it it "bonds to plastic" give it 24 hours and you can pick off overspray with a wooden toothpick

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'd just wrap it. It'd give you a much more durable finish. Or just buy a black one. It's probably the same price when you consider materials+time.

6. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

Any spray paint will do, the trick is in the prep work. You just need to make sure you give it a good sanding so the primer has some thing to stick too.