1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Star Ruler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Looks interesting, and at that price point I think I may have to try it! Nice review, also I don't think I ever would have seen this game if it weren't for this, thanks.

3. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Interesting to see this get a review - though a game this complex really should merit more than one page. It's also important to get the latest updates since they do improve the tutorial somewhat, though it still doesn't provide enough information on key areas like ship design.

I would disagree with Homeworld (RTS) or the X series (more RPG) being classified as 4X-style games - Civilization (and offshoots like Alpha Centauri) is the classic 4X example and there aren't really many of that calibre. Space empire-building games are rarer still with the only moderately-recent examples coming to mind being the super-simple Galactic Civilizations II and super-complex Space Empires V.

Star Ruler is DRM-free if purchased directly from Blind Mind - a point well worth noting.

Bede likes this.
  4. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

A one page review says a lot more to me than the 70% as clearly there is not a lot about this game worth writing about.

You say a few 4x titles like Homeworld and the X series, but should that not have been referred to as a "couple"?

Aside from the games already mentioned, sins of a solar empire also springs to mind...

5. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

No mention of the diabolical diplomacy or has that been fixed now?

Brought this but couldn't get into it.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I still play Freelancer, using the Discovery 4.85 mod though.
    4.86 won't be long, and it allows a LOT more fun ;)

7. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

8. numanoid

numanoid Modder

ELETE all over again lol

9. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

This game is a real bitch to get into. That sucks because it looks very deep.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

There is a "remake" of elite that has been done. Oolite I think, free too ;)

You should be able to find info on wikipedia.

11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

The depth in this game is incredible... I just played for 4 hours straight and am still going to be playing through the night

12. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

BT should refrain from giving reviews any sort of rating. Since I think you guys are not going to stop reviewing software, how about just not giving a rating. The reviews of the last 18-24 months have been all over the map, and the ratings seem random.

Thanks for reviewing this game, it is one of the better ones out there and it is practically free.

Yours in Complex 3d Galactic Conquest Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

P.S. Yes I am playing this in multiplayer and annihilating foolish humans. No, I am not doing it under my famous Star*Dagger name.

13. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Its worth a play if you like space strategy, the AI good do with a bit of work, issuing orders is a bit of a nightmare, but they seemed to have lifted the UI from Eve which is nice.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'd like to drop scores too and have raised the idea many times, but it's unfortunately just not very realistic.

I realise our scores can seem out of sync with other sites given our opinions (Site X says a game is amazing and gives it 10/10, we say a game is amazing and give it 85/100) but that's because we've taken strong measures over the last years to bring our scoring in line with reality. Simply, while some sites score on a 7-10 basis, we use the whole scale. For us 50 per cent is the average, not 70 per cent, and 70 per cent is a score that you should be proud of - like in an exam.

It's something we have to keep reminding readers, especially since we were added to metacritic and all our scores and averages since a certain time can be easily seen and compared, but it's an effort we think is very much taking.

15. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

And an excellent idea it is too. I do like how you/bit gamer review honestly. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't come across as marking it down to seem like you're trying to be some kind of Charlie Brooker of the gaming world. The criticism and low scores are always justified.

Reminds me of Amiga Power in that respect <3 Although I've never seen you give 1% yet :D

Tags: Add Tags