1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek NX-PC case mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jediknight0, 26 Feb 2007.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 What's a Dremel?

It's time to build a new daily driver for myself. My old p4 northwood system with AGP graphics just isn't cutting it anymore with modern games.

[​IMG]

I've done the Star Wars mod thing a few times...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now it's time to try something around my true love, Star Trek.

The new system will be based on an Intel Core Duo e6600 and an ATI x1950xt video card, as well as an Asetek WaterChill Extreme water cooling system.

My last attempt at a Star Trek based mod was for a nano-itx based mod inside an NX-01 starship. Because of the late arrival of the nano-itx boards and thier large height, that never took off and I canceled the project. I will re-use a lot of those elements in this mod however.

More updates to come, or check out my website http://mods.xkill.net for the latest.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2007
  2. jediknight0

My new build will also be based/inspired by the NX-01 starship (kinda my favorite, plus the all-silver base makes an aluminum case a no-brainer)

[​IMG]

The case it's base on - sexy new Lian Li PC-A16 with completely configurable drive bay location

[​IMG]

drive bay pictures - stock, diassembled, 2 pics of how to eliminate extra junk

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Completed drive bay with 120mm blue LED fan and copper deflector dish

[​IMG]

More updates to come, or check out my website http://mods.xkill.net for the latest.

3. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

wow great craftmanship on the aluminum. I think this is definatly a suscribe.

4. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

WOW! I could see naked ladies dancing in that green tube on the front :jawdrop:

5. alonso_bistro

alonso_bistro I'm just looking

I'm a big Star-Trek fan...
    can't wait to see how this one will turn.

[​IMG]

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I like the idea, but why did you use the NX-01? That wasn't the Enterprise, tbh you need the proper one. :p

And how did you bring yourself to cut that Millenium Falcon up? I have one of those, and they're seriously awesome. :D

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Looks nice, I look forward to seeing more!

8. P.P InDaHouse

P.P InDaHouse What's a Dremel?

beautifull lian-li case :eeek:

9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

bah I refuse to call that series star treck... did they compleatly ignore the progresion of tech or what :|

put it in a star base, so much more practical shape :)

10. jediknight0

Just so everyone doesn't get thier hopes up here, I wanted to be clear - I'm still keeping the basic rectangular shape of the system. I'm not going to put everything in a round disk - it would be too large to put on my desk or upgrade in the future. Instead, I'll use the standard rectangular box and add Star Trek elements.

That being said, let's get on to something more interesting.

Last time I showed the completed drive cage. Just as an example of attention to detail I wanted to show this:

[​IMG]

Yes, I went so far as to remove the logo from the fan inside the drive cage. Hey, they didn't pay me or give me free parts, why should thier logo be on my system?

Some model kits I will scavange for parts:

[​IMG]

So this is going to be Star Trek based, right? How can you have a starship based mod without warp engines (you know you were all waiting for this). I took some model pieces and started modding them to include lighting as well as paint.

From left to right: one engine that I've already cut the front off, poor fit issues solved with model putty, more poor fit issues, and inner clear pieces being painted with a rib pattern.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More left to right: test fit of nacelle with pylon (some electronics added), a custom fabricated mounting plate to add the engines to the top of the case, and red painted bussard collectors with custom black cap (8mm red LED added)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll leave you in suspense for the rest.

11. jediknight0

Yes, this project is still alive - very much so. With work recently being so busy, I've had to make the tough choice - post or mod. Modding has consistently won. :)

But I thought I'd finally share some more progress with everyone now.

I've continued work on the engines, as seen here:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've also started adding detailing to the top of the case, including hull plating, a danger-den fillport for adding the warp plasma, and the mounting bracket for the warp engines.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, the "main feature" for this mod is obviously the warp engines. All that internal wiring is for blue LEDs... the more HD activity, the more lights turn on. Here's the completed engines (and plyons) attached the HD activity circuit. Click on the picture to see a short movie (warning, it's 1.5mb across a slow DSL link).

[​IMG]

Comments?

12. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

This looks great and I love the hdd activity.

13. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

heh, neat idea, could use some photos from front/side :naughty:

14. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

Those activity lights are awesome! Keep up the good work

15. jediknight0

Believe it or not the project is not dead and is, in fact, almost complete. Just been extremely busy at my frustrating job, looking for a new job, and dealing with a cat who has emotional issues :-( .

Anyway, time for some more pics:

Some of the raw components (asetek water pump, radeon 1950xt, coolermaster 600w PS [won in a contest], seagate 250GB drives, OCZ memory, Intel MB, dangerden waterblock, FlexFX cable)

Making the front panel switches - had a fabricate white (actually, light beige) buttons and come up with suitable Star Trek theme armor panels. I used some armor to hide the original power/HS light holes on the front.

And of course, I shortened the PS cables to the right length (mostly) and sleeved them in carbon fiber color sleeving.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More updates (hopefully) later this weekend...

Check out my website http://mods.xkill.net for the latest.

16. fungry

fungry What's a Dremel?

i like it. keep up the good work.

those engines are nice

17. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Glad to see it's still going....and best wishes to your cat.

18. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice. Sorry to hear about your cat.... a cat needs a ton of attention to be happy

19. jediknight0

Basically, the system is done - just various software loading left (about 50% done), taking some nice "finished" photos, and moving my "real" keyboard and mouse over to the system.

Here are some of the steps to get there...

I had a big hole in the top of the case where the original power/reset buttons were, covered that with a "bridge". Next, worked on sleeving all the cables, including the front port cables (what a pain) and even short USB cables for the water-pump. Finally, replaced the DVD-ROM buttons with white custom made buttons and blue LEDs.

Side panels were next - I made all sort of different armor plating and attached it to the right side panel (star trek trivia: anyone know what GNDN stands for?).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

For the left side, I made a window that also has a manual door - yes, the normal window plexi is there but it also has a silver door marked "engineering access only" that you can manually open and close!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mount moutherboard and tubing then fill with Fluid XP

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Once again, no time for final shots this weekend, but I'll leave you with a quick teaser...

[​IMG]

Comments?

Check out my website http://mods.xkill.net for the latest.

20. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I've got the polar lights kit msyelf,, isn't it a monster?!

I like the nacells on top, i think it would have been nice if the top of the dish had been used somewhere, great craftmanship though, I wish I'd put some bondo on mine, doh!