1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Steelseries SRW-S1 Steering Wheel review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 25 Apr 2012.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

LOL. I've not had any experience of their products before. To put things in perspective, I have an old Logitech formula force wheel and pedals I bought USED on ebay 12 years ago. It still works to this day!

The S1 had no rough handling in the 4 days it was with me. Was never dropped.

2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I think it is actually an interesting solution to a problem with traditional wheels (one, it's a pain to clamp and unclamp the wheel from your desk, two, it's a pretty embarrassing thing to have clamped to your desk) but I have always hated accelerometer-based wheels, even the one for the Wii. Good on SteelSeries for trying something new, but I still ain't buying one.

3. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Simple...use a controller

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

4. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

I'd be tempted to buy one of these purely for the purposes of hacking it into a new wheel for my G27... I doubt itll be up to taking the force-feedback thou - would probably shatter the plastic... Will have to see if anyone mods one though!

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The "air wheel" concept isn't really that new or novel - it was done with the Wii a few years ago, and the 360 even has a u-shaped "wheel" with accelerometer control.

To put it as bluntly as possible: F*** THAT. I want a fixed steering wheel - with a permanent axis around which it rotates - with force feedback and separate pedals. I'd like having all the bells & whistles like the throttle lights, brake bias, fuel mix adjustments, etc, as F1 games are pretty much the only racing games I play. However, I can't see how you can get the same level of steering precision without a fixed axis, and modding this to work with a normal wheel seems like a lot of effort and expense for little gain.

I picked one of these up a few months back for a really cheap price (although mine has force-feedback) - still a great piece of kit! Admittedly it would be helpful if it had a D-Pad, but there's always a keyboard (or Razer Nostromo) nearby.

Tags: Add Tags