1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Team Group displays prototype 128GB SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Looks nice! However, I'd prefer a 3.5" version with SATA only. Also, I kinda doubt my wallet will like the price of one of those. . . Just pure speculation, but I doubt the SSD will be cheap.

L J

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

128GB is a little more useful than 32, although if the read/write speeds are that low it's going to be a pain. :( (I know, they said they'd double...)

Bet it's gonna cost an arm and a leg, though, if the Sandisk 32GB drive is £200...

...£1000 for a 128GB HDD...?

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

now thats intersting, more compition and larger size cant complain there

5. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

What's the point in having an IDE version?... Surely anyone with money for things like this at the moment, won't be using old tech in other places?

6. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Even if it comes out at twice the price of the Sandisk unit it'll be a bit too pricey for most people. Besides - for a laptop #i'd say 32Gb is usually enough - you can always use a big USB drive to dump your data onto when you get home / back to the office.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Sooner we get these in laptops the better

8. Snaek

Snaek What's a Dremel?

I agree that 128GB is overkill for a laptop, unless you use it as your main PC. For me, Sandisks 32GB drive would be plenty for a laptop.

9. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

i cqant wait for a 64gb version for about £150 so i can fit it into my mac! that would rock, the battery times would shoot up and there would be literally no noise coming out of it! cant wait!

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what he says.

11. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

most flash can be directly connected to IDE wheras stata needs conversion chips. (hence the cheapo CF-IDE adaptors but expensive and rarer Cf-Sata adaptors).

cool drives :D (the 128gb one is bigger than my os drive.. where almost there :D )

12. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Is there a big advantage to jump to these in desktop computers (not considering price which is bound to fall). If memory serves me right the non volatile flash based memory has a specific number of read/write cycles before the data can no longer be stored there. the cycle time is high enough that it's not an issue for that text document you create and use once amonth, but what about windows swap files and other large files that are read and write numerous times? I hear they have algorythms to swap data around the drives so it wears evenly esepcially since theres no negative to fragmenting data and no associated seek times, but I see issues with long term use as an OS drive.
    or is the read/write cycles getting comparable to the life expectancy of a platter based HDD?

Tags: Add Tags