1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The 3D Printing Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SkiDave, 6 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They all had their problems: support top-down has warped and bubbly top surfaces and one of 'em was the one stuck to the FEP; support top-up is warpy pretty much everywhere; unsupported top-up were the ones that shattered; and unsupported top-down has a fantastic flat top but warped bottom.

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I found the best way to print keycaps was by editing the STL in Blender to extrude the bottom of the keycap, printing them with the bottom of the cap on the build plate with no support and then giving the cured part a quick sand to remove what I'd added to the model at the start. All in all a bit of a pita but it worked.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Had a go at printing a new escape key for my work station keyboard. I stuck it on my gaming PC so you can see some RGB vomit for your viewing pleasure.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Think I damaged my FEP by being A) incautious in removing that failed print and 2) stupid by using kitchen roll to clean it. So, pulled out the spare FEP from the packaging and did a swap. Not too painful a process, really... but it's annoying that I've spotted a blemish on the spare FEP now it's fitted.

So. Waiting for a delivery of *more* FEP, and another £24 added to the bill...

Goatee likes this.
  5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

At a glance at the model I'm not keen on the low poly effect extending to the inside of the key cap (no reason not to have it a uniform standard shape for strength). Also most caps have molded supports on the underside to increase the rigidity of the the walls and standoff, which this one seems to lack. This might be because the top surface is thicker having the same effect, but if not there's no reason (other than a tiny amount of extra material per cap) not to make it so.

I am an FDM guy though, so you might want to take my observations with a pinch of salt :happy:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

If your still in the market for a Saturn they have gone up for pre-order for end of October delivery on www.3djake.uk for £551 delivered.

https://www.3djake.uk/elegoo/saturn?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2f6r87X36gIVi7HtCh0uGgpyEAQYASABEgIoYPD_BwE

1-2 seconds per layer with build volume of 192 (w) x 120 (d) x 200 (h) mm is awesome.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I just got email from 3dJake.

"Due to price changes by Elegoo, we have also decided to change the price for Elegoo Saturn pre-orders and for those who have already paid, we will also be refunding the difference."

Looks like I'm getting a £128.30 refund!

Result

8. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Thinking about getting myself a 3D printer. Had a look around and found that Creality seems to be the make to go for when it comes to bang for buck - and found a site selling the CR-10S Pro for £350 (EU lead, but got plenty of spare UK ones).

The CR-10S Pro appears perfect for my needs. I wanted something with a large print size, and 300x300x400mm fits the bill nicely.

Before I pull the trigger thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions/advice? Anyone ordered from Cafago before?

9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Whats your intended use?

10. dullonien

Bit of everything really. I'm an architect, so I'll be printing some building models. Was thinking of printing some stuff around the house (try some lamp shades, vases etc.). Probably design and print some computer case parts as well. I know printing with PLA won't give great results when printing delicate small items, but I can accept that. Could always look into a resin printer in the future if I find the need.

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have had a PLA printer (i3 clone) and recently migrated to resin and i'm waiting for delivery of a ELEGOO Saturn printer (build area - 192mm (L) * 120mm (W) * 200mm (H) ) in October.

Resin are much higher detail but typically smaller print area.

If your after high quality models then a larger MSLA printer might be a better bet. Depends on if you can live with the restricted build area?

12. dullonien

Thanks for the info Goatee. Certainly something to ponder. I think the larger build area is probably a more important factor at the minute. I've had PLA 3D prints done with work before so I know the quality I can expect with visible layer steps on curved elements etc.

I'll have to keep an eye on the market going forwards. I was surprised how affordable both PLA and resin printers have become, so I'm sure it won't be long until larger format resin printers are affordable. Exciting stuff.

13. dullonien

I've had my Creality CR-10s Pro for a few days now. Still getting to grips with it - it's stringing quite a lot though, despite playing with all the retraction settings/temps/printing speed etc. Decided it's probably not worth spending too much more time troubleshooting until I receive my order of eSUN filament in case it's just the half reel of sample filament that came with the printer that's to blame!

Actually I haven't placed the order on filament yet, so if I'm making a mistake with eSUN, let me know. I tried to do some research, but every site I looked at seemed to recommend different brands, some of which don't apear to be available in the UK. eSUN seemed to appear on some lists + it's one of the default option in Cura, so figured it must be a popular choice. Price is also competitive at £18.99 a reel for the PLA+ filament.

So far I've spent my time printing the obligatory test boat and a wireframe skull pen holder for my son. He's very happy.

20200910_114859.jpg 20200913_115701.jpg

Really happy with the printer itself. Quality seems great, it was easy to set-up, and it's a breeze to set prints to run. I had one issue with my only test-print from Simplify3D (using the tinymachines profile for my printer), where the initial layer seemed to go down super thin which meant the print was welded to the bed when I tried to get it off at the end. Literally had to dig the thing off with a scraper, scraping the final layers off with a razorblade, trying to get it level again. Seems like the bed survived fine, but I've not used Simplyfy3D again. Very odd.

MLyons likes this.
  14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

15. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Got my Saturn today. Its got a massive bed compared to the creality it replaces.

Build quality looks comparable.

16. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Just got a 3D printer ! Thingiverse is going to be my new best friend I think. Got an Eryone Thinker SE ... and already decided to order the bed levelling sensor for it.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Does anyone have thoughts on SLA printable flexible resin?

I'm not sure I can be bothered to go through the rigmarole of moulding and casting in the appropriate flexible resin if there's a viable 3D Print option..

18. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

New monitors aren't compatible with my Dell AC511 Sound bar. So I wiped this bracket up.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The fit is pretty good, although the print is a little warped at the extremities. I am assuming it is an issue with it barely fitting on my print bed and not having properly regulated bed heating.

Goatee and MLyons like this.
  19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Anyone able to recommend a starter resin 3D printer? Looking for something to make 75mm scale stuff for a large diorama, stuff to detail models, and minis for DnD. For big stuff I would bargain with a filament owning person. This is for small detailed items so I stop spending all I own on getting detail parts from Japan when I build a model.

Also, what do I need to start making my own .stl files? I'm starting from scratch, my laptop was stolen. I had a Precision m6600, should I just look for another one? It had a Quadro 3000, that should have me set, right?

I asked this on reddit and the only responder in a week told me that nobody needs a resin printer and not to buy one. He says the same to everyone. I know the difference is a big one for 1:24 detail items. Since some of you have resin, any recommendations?

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

How many models do you expect to want to print at a time for DND? This will help decide what sort of build size do you need?