1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Y'know how, eventually, Our Glorious Leaders agreed to feed kids who would normally get free school meals? Here's what they get:

Now when the programme ran the first time, families got a £30 supermarket voucher for two school weeks - ten meals. Now, they get this - which works out to £5.22 at retail pricing, but Our Glorious Leaders are still forking over £30 for it. It's just that £30 now goes to a private company, which presumably pockets the £25 (more, at wholesale) profit per pupil.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

£5.22/fortnight is also probably more than the school gets to spend on the kids school meals

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Christ, this one's even worse - half a tin of tuna thrown into a coin bag?!

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

What the actual?!

Did we suddenly become a third world country overnight? This virus is exposing some serious societal shortcomings.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Some Tory crony is making an absolute fortune out of this. As with the terrorist insurrection in America last week, I am simultaneously absolutely shocked and completely unsurprised.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

... so you're not on board for eating white onion quarters like a hand fruit?

I thought that was the in thing with kids today.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No no, that is totally not the case:

In a third world country the Government would have pocketed the difference between what it costs and what they charged the taxpayer and hidden it in a slush fund at a dodgy bank in Lichtenstein.
    In a first world country the Government invited five of their mates to compete in a Battle Royale for title of biggest cheapskate and the difference between what it costs and what they charged the taxpayer will be gambled away on the stock market.

*Disclaimer, post may contain some snark as I can't respond in a serious fashion as my blood is boiling from seeing the shite being provided to kids*

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

It was the carrot that did it for me.

And the fact that it probably took more time to cut the carrot and pepper into begging-sized portions than it would have to just throw the fkg things in a box to send out.

There's a special place in the basement for anyone who would begrudge a child a whole vegetable.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The pandemic has just exposed the society for what it's been for a long time.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

It's certainly exposed right-wing, wealthy Tories as the corrupt, self-serving c*nts that they undoubtedly are.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

12. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I'm a bit confused, Is that for a single meal/day or for x days?

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I was under the impression it's two weeks' MREs, but I could be wrong.

14. Gareth Halfacree

The first picture I posted was ten meals, so lunch for two weeks for one child. (Eight of those ten "meals" were two slices of bread with a single cheese-adjacent-slice in the middle. No butter.)

The second, I'm not sure. With only one tatty, though, I can't imagine that's supposed to be a ten-day spread - but there's too much(!) for one meal. Five, maybe?

Oh, and that coin bag filled with something - it's not tuna, it's powdered tomato soup. Can't decide if that's better or worse!

EDIT:
    Meanwhile, the laptops provided for home learning - and I know the sysop at one school who got 19 laptops to share between 650 pupils - are so slow they're advising kids to use Teams on their PlayStations and Xboxes instead. And if you don't have a games console... well, you're stuffed, I guess.

I've got my eldest on a junker ex-corporate ThinkPad with Linux on it, and my youngest on a Surface Pro - original model. It... works, more or less.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2021
  15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

16. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

MRE implies a meal and that its ready to eat, this stuff would hardly pass as a ration in Stalin's USSR.

17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I've looked at the contents again and I'm struggling to see where that onion fits in.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Put onion in hand
    Move onion to mouth
    Bite onion
    Masticate
    Swallow
    Repeat

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and raid the pickled onions as y'all made me hungry

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Looks like the MIL has Covid.

She's 90.
    In a care home.
    That's riddled with Covid.

This might not end well.