1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Oh yeah :D ... strong the force is ! I'm tempted to add a USB DAQ + Raspberry Pi inside of it since it has an aux input. I'll try to find a vintage thorenz turn table later. The dual 1010 of this beauty is in too bad shape (no more arm).

Oh, btw, it is a Gründig Mandello, a legendary valve radio !

2. GuilleAcoustic

* Damn cellphone network ... double post :wallbash: *

EDIT : I'll use this to post the designs :p

Last edited: 1 Feb 2012
  3. GuilleAcoustic

Here are the pictures of the beast :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the drivers, mounted on a temporary piece of wood :

... The hyperphon elliptical alnico full-range driver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and the electrostatic high voltage tweeter (needs around 200V to run).

[​IMG]

I've made a temporary power cord has it was missing and some temporary speaker "plug" (the amp has 2x DIN2 outputs for external speakers or 2 pins connector + tweeter PSU pin for internal speakers).

Plugged the speakers on the internal pins and played some AM & MW radio (no FM antena cord ... but not for long :D) ... This was long range radio quality, nothing special. The magic eye works like a charm, it's trully addictive to look at its nice green glow bouncing with the radio waves.

The amp also has 2x DIN5 connector for piezo turn table and auxiliary. I've hacked an old din5 keyboard connector and made a quick jack <-> DIN5 cord to play some music. Turned a simple 320KBps MP3 from my creative zen ... and OMG !! It's alive and in stereo !! The sound is warm and full. I'm especially amazed since the speakers are not inside an enclosure.

The right channel has a lower output level than the right, I suspect the capacitied to be really near their death (they are from 63, almost 50 years old). All vacuum tubes have their warm red glow, meaning they work xD.

Time for some surgery to give this beauty a new, well deserved, life.

EDIT : What I like is the smell of hot electronic components, past the smell of burn dust :lol: :D :p

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

SWTOR is a mixed bag really, but that's mostly due to the early state of the game. Bugs pop up here and there, especially during the high-level-content as this was rarely tetsed during beta.

However, the guild I'm playing with makes the whole thing fun as hell, especially as we're all nerds in their 30's or 40's who grew up with StarWars back then. :hehe:

5. Martininho

Martininho What's a Dremel?

6. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot mates. Chaotic brain ... I must agree with that :D. That's a total mess inside my head, have to regularly pour ideas from it to prevent the implosion.

7. GuilleAcoustic

Another nice find at my residency disposal this week-end.

[​IMG]

This is an italian electric organ with dual 37 keys keyboard and 14 pedals. It weights a tone with its dual 8" speakers and the wooden frame. The only matter with it was a burnt 1A fuse :D ... how could someone throw this beauty away for a faultry fuse.

8. GuilleAcoustic

After a long period away from case design, I'm back with one using the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe and the GTX670, in a tall form factor, but with an extremly reduced footprint. I hereby present you : Monolith V4.356 alpha 2012 revised !!

[​IMG]

The radiator is a custom one, based on Aquacomputer airplex modularity design, but the fans are not in a push pull configuration. I'm using a push-push, the air is pushed inside the rad from both front and back faces, and exits the rad from the left and right sides. No shroud then, only fins. I expect the air flow to be more "chaotic" this way, then increasing the static pressure. For aesthetic purpose, the fins are visible on both left and right sides.

The case is really tall, but the footprint is really small. What do you think of it ?

ps : For those wondering, an SSD and a 2.5" HDD can fit behind the mobo, while the pump in housed inside the rad, on the bottom acetal part (the top acts as a reservoir + airtrap).

9. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

thats crazy!
    what size fans on top?

10. GuilleAcoustic

Always crazy, thanks :D. 6x 140mm fans on the rad and 2x 80mm above the IO shield to exhaust some air.

11. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

love it!!!

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Like it.:D Where did you put the pump/res?

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Epic, we had one very similar at secondary school in the Music classroom; can you play the R-type theme tune on it please? :D