1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Project "Minilith" ... oh yes I gave it a name, all project should have a name :p ... is taking good shape.

Here are some pictures of the DIP (Design In Progress) :

[​IMG]
    (Side by side with this good ol' HP 24" monitor)

[​IMG]
    (Depth comparison with a monitor)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Pci and I/O shield brackets)

[​IMG]
    (24pins ATX connector cable management)

[​IMG]
    (close-up)

The ATX connector will be guided to keep this shape. It'll help having a good airflow and I think it looks good :lol:.

What I have to do :

- P4 connector management.
    - front IO.
    - Intake bottom fan design.
    - HDD / SSD / slim BD bay design.
    - General outside design.

Every single comment will be welcomed and taken into acount. I hope you like it :clap:.

Ps : I'll start building it as soon as the internal structure design is acheived. Stay tuned :dremel:

2. GuilleAcoustic

Hi there,

the design is evolving slowly. I have refined the overall outside in order to give it a slimer and more refined look. Here is where I am so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved the BD drive and the SSD from the back to the wooden base. The 3.5" HDD has been replaced by it's 2.5" equivalent and is housed inside the case wooden base.

Hope you like how it is growing. Stay tuned :dremel:

- Guille -

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
    Pliqu3011 likes this.
  3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

When I recently looked into the project logs after a while of being absent I saw nanotower from phinix and was thinking about designing such a tower aswell.

The only thing that cracks me up is the cables coming out on top of the whole thing which I absolutely dislike, and a cover makes the case another 50mm taller.

Are you going to cover this up or are you thinking of letting it uncovered like a testbench?

EDIT: Oh and yeah. The Silverstone 450W SFX PSU will be powerful enough for your hardware if you don't OC it alot. Mine isn't breaking into a sweat with my hardware (see sig).

---

Allthough my Sugo 05 is running nice and dandy, I miss my standard ATX PSU as the 80mm fan from the SFX PSU is a little too loud imho. Maybe I grab a LiLi Q08 to have room for a bigger PSU.

4. GuilleAcoustic

I'll use Wifi for netwotk (or 90° RJ45), 90° HDMI for display and sound (takes less space than DVI) and Bluetooth keyboard + mouse). The cover will not add any height to the damn thing, will just be 2mm higher tha the PCI bracket holder.

I'll try and see if my HX520W doesn't add to much volume then :thumb:. Thanks for your answers :D.

5. GuilleAcoustic

An early design that I'm working on :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an attempt to design a HTPC / emulator box using the Intel DH61AG Thin-ITX motherboard :

[​IMG]

The case feature the mobo, a Pentium G620T, a Scythe KOZUTIn 4Go DDR3, an onboard mSATA 30Go SSD and a slimline slot-in BD player.

This is an early design and it has to be refined, but the case is only 179 x 181 x 77mm.

Any advise or comment ? Everything is welcomed :D

Last edited: 31 Aug 2011
  6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Great designs bro! :thumb:

7. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks, but it is evolving a lot ... cannot shut my brain down. Here come's gen alpha 2.0 :D

The case acts like a passive rad. Heatpipes transfer the heat directly from the CPU block to the case fins (only 2 showed out of 4). The new Pentium G620T has a TDP of only 35W, so it should be ok.

The SSD is still a 30GB mSATA one, directly on the Intel board.

What do you think about it ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
  8. GuilleAcoustic

Another cooling solution :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GuilleAcoustic

Hi gals and guys,

My HTPC design has progressed in a good way during lunch break. Here is where I'm at for the moment :

Hardware :

- Intel DH61AG Thin ITX motherboard
    - Intel Pentium G620T (35W) / Intel core i3 2100T (35W)
    - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 mini-PCIe (WIFI + Bluetooth 3.0)
    - Intel SSD 310 Soda Creek 40GB micro-SATA
    - Kingston 2x 2GB SO-DIMM DDR3
    - Samsung VFD display
    - Sony slim-line Blue-Ray Drive

Front panel made from ebony wood and copper. I have to refine it (edge chamfer + buttons). The VFD display in behing a smoked glass to have a perfectly blend display (like on this Sony music player)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still have to model the connector and then the back panel

[​IMG]

The white panel can be removed to access the slim 100m fan filter.

[​IMG]

Size comparison with an Origen AE M10

[​IMG]

Origen AE M10 HTPC enclosure

I hope you like the concept. Any comment are welcomed and will help me improving my design.

10. bguilleminot

bguilleminot What's a Dremel?

Man, I love your designs! Watching this it's so inspiring to me :) thanks a lot for sharing! I don't want to be a dumbass or something like that but... Can I rob you some ideas? xD

11. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot :blush:. Sure you can rob, I'm putting my ideas there for that purpose. This is a free a pick gallery :thumb:

12. Sutura

Sutura What's a Dremel?

Quite interesting stuff. I wish I had that level of handling 3D software. I am thinking now of my first build. That will be mini-ITX.
    Guile, you have really nice ideas. I will open a theme of myself, but will post only a handrawing :). Can you have a look of it when I start, it would be cool if you say what do you think of it. All advice are welcomed.

13. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot. Trust me, I'll take a look and give a feedback. Notice me when it starts :thumb: ... and hand-drawing is really nice. I always draw on paper before modeling things, this step is very important to clarify our ideas. Clay shaping is nice to when modeling organic stuff.

14. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Well done on the designs, Some clever skills you got going on there.

Are you going to use the MATX tower design at all?

15. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks mate :D !

Which one do you mean ?

Core :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Microlith (rev1) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Microlith (rev 2):

[​IMG]

Microlith (rev 3) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still trying many differents designs to find the best one regarding my needs. I'd relly like to use the motorised panel I design for the MNPCtech contest :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Oct 2011
  16. GuilleAcoustic

Here is a pretty good news. I'm finally starting a vacuum tube project.

It will take the shape of an headphone amplifier. I'm waiting for all components to be sent, and since they are coming from all around the world it's giving me time to design their next house : ).

I'll post the design here and open a worklog thread then.

The amplifier will use 3x Mullard E88CC double triode tubes. They are from the 60's and kinda expensive (40€ each), but my K701 deserve it :).

The transformer is custom-built by Sowter in the UK and will take them about 5 weeks to build (£135 about). Hammond has a series one for $35 but it is not the english quality :thumb:.

Capacies will be PIO models (paper in oil) for the ones on the signal path, and huge electrolytic ones for the others.

Metal film resistors everywhere, point-to-point wiring and silver solid wire on the signal path.

I hope I'll have something to show tonight.

stay tunes :dremel:

Last edited: 4 Oct 2011
  17. GuilleAcoustic

Little update, finaly got LTspice working. I finalized the schematics during luch break. It only shows one channel. I'll update it later with the whole schematic (both right and left channels + psu)

[​IMG]

Note that the tube (V1) right at the entry of the schematic if only half of a E88CC (those are double triode ... ie 2 tubes in one). The two V2 labeled tubes are in fact a single E88CC, they are used in a white cathode follower mode.

Triode vs double triode :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Feel free to ask if you want some explainations about this schematics or tubes in general :thumb:

EDIT : I just want to mention that voltage involved in tube schematic are dangerous. For example, you get around 350V at the point between V2's anode and R7 resistor (and this is only a headphone amp, power amp can have around 1500V).

Last edited: 5 Oct 2011
  18. GuilleAcoustic

As promised, here is the full schematic of the headamp (both L & R channels) :

[​IMG]

The transformer is a custom one made by Sowter. They offer to build you the transformer with specific voltages and current on each secondary. This one is a 80 - 0 - 80 @ 100mA + 3x 6.3V @ 500mA

The 6.3V secondaries are used to power the tube heaters. The power signal is filtered by an L-C pi filter (2 capacities in parallel with a choke).

EDIT : I'm made this with scketchup :D

Last edited: 5 Oct 2011
  19. GuilleAcoustic

Evening everyone,

today I almost threw my work computer through the window due to its slugginess, when I though : "It could be nice to have a small but fast computer to make my programming job".

My criteria are as follow :

- small
    - fast
    - power friendly (to help saving the planet)
    - cheap
    - easy to build

Here is a first attempt of I came came up with today :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I planned ITX FF of course, with a i3-2100, 8GB of RAM and an SSD (all data are network stored) and a pico-PSU. The CPU is cooled by a Samuel17 + 120mm fan.

The case is pretty simple, 2 sheets of 2mm aluminium bended into "U" shape. They will be laser cutted before bending. The dust filter is removable without unmounting the top panel.

I still have to design the front panel, but I will probably just throw a sensitive switch and 2 leds at it (power + HDD).

What do you think of it ?

Last edited: 13 Oct 2011
  20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If I wouldn't need a somewhat capable GPU for my MMO-addiction I would've done this myself allready ^^

I've done a similar case before for my IONITX, which is now housed in an Antec ISK-100 and I can only say, that this is the best way to go, if you don't need a big GPU for whatever reason.

You should look for an i3-2105 tho, as it comes with the HD3000 graphics instead of the HD2000. The difference between those two IGPs is huge, while the price-difference is only some €15.

The Samuel-17 I really like, as it cools the CPU sufficiently and aswell blows some air over the chipset. It fits really nice on a mITX-board and I'm using mine with an Akasa Apache PWM in my Sugo-setup.

I'd say: go for it ;)