1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The Laser mod.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ¥¥¥, 26 Jan 2003.

1. ¥¥¥

¥¥¥ What's a Dremel?

Yep i just got in from maplin. I got an entertainment style laser because it was cheaper than buying a seperate laser part on it's own. It creates some nice effects via motorised mirrors and it is quite small.

I will take it apart and try and mod it to produce adiquite effects for in case display or just extract the laser unit itself.

Here is more info about the laser.

http://www.miraclebeam.com/lightshow.asp

Hopefully I can mod it to get some good effects inside my case, I will continue to investigate the prospect of simulating a visable beam inside the case. I found exposing the laser to a small ammont of smoke vapour resulted in a partially visable beam.

I will get some action pics up after I get new batteries for my digi cam :)

If anyone is wondering the laser device cost £40 from maplin.

2. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Sounds good man.

3. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

okok so weve had a look at dust etc but why not use smoke . . . use a joss(sp) stick or incense stick makes yer case smell nice at the same time :D (or screw up making an ir reciever and nearly set fire to yer room that makes good smoke :D)

4. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I've seen that green laser before. Very impressive, and so powerful. It would be pretty cool to have a mist or fog floating slowly in a horizontal plexi box in the bottom of the case with green lasers on servos moving about... that would be cooooool... like something out of a Sci-Fi movie

5. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

In physics, my instructor did a laser demo and used a block of a polymer than made the laser visable when it passed through. I don't remember what is was though. It looked like plexy though (I know it wasn't) so you may be able to use it if either myself, or somone else can find out what the stuff is. I dono if it would work for green lasers, but it would sure beat all the tricky mechanics of playing with dust/fog.

6. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

More than likely the material would have bubbles or small particles in it for the laser beam to reflect off. You get the same effect if you put a laser along the carpet

7. ¥¥¥

¥¥¥ What's a Dremel?

Here is an action pic of me shining the laster into some boiling pasta.

[​IMG]

I will keep you updated on my mod. I'm still reviewing the possibilites.

8. eaterofpies

cant really do that in a case tho :lol: :lol: the steam would start to condense on yer graphics card and :waah:

9. ¥¥¥

¥¥¥ What's a Dremel?

How about I shine it in your eyes ok ?

10. eaterofpies

:lol: Chill im just having a laf

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

okay having some experience with partical effects. I suggest you use differen't particle sizes, like using Ultra fine particals (to get smoke that doesn't dissapate) mixed with medium sized particals so you get uneven partical speed... filling that thing would be hard.. and make sure you some how remove any static or else it will stick to the walls (you could inncrease the humidity) anyways it will be a good idea if it works. Also MAking it sound activated or.. such would be awsome

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

thats a bit mean don't you think hes only trying to stop you from destroying your computer.

13. [A]MD

[A]MD What's a Dremel?

Sorry to thread hijack, but It seems there is another case modding DDR player on the forums :D

DDR > *