1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling The mighty Delta GFB1212VHW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 17 Jan 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Anyone know where to get one of these dual-impeller monsters in the US? I found a GFB1248 on ebay, but it takes 48 volts. Can I just put four Molex connectors together in series? Or am I just asking to explode my PSU? I really want one of these, if only just for the cool factor. Come on, who doesn't want 220 CFM at 59dba? :rock:

2. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I had a couple of the smaller deltas and built a hovercraft in the office :)

3. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Well I found a number of Delta 0812SHG, which is basically the same thing but 80mm instead of 120. It's rated 68.58CFM@53db

EDIT: And the 0912SHG, rated 103.8cfm@61db

Looks to me the delta naming scheme has the size for the first two digits, in centimeters, the voltage the next two, then the derivative, which changes based on individual fans.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I dont think you should chain 4 molex's in series! The current they will draw at startup might melt your whole house.

5. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

You can't connect molex is series, no, because in effect it won't be in series atall.

You'll be shorting 12V to ground and cause your PSU to melt or cause OCP to kick in.

Seriously though, if you were to do that with some of the beefier single rail PSUs the current available would be enough to melt the cable and potentially start a fire before the OCP kicks in.

So don't do that.

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yep - the first three letters denote the fan series/impeller design. I have AFC and FFC (focused flow) Deltas, and some Nidec and San Ace fans too, but I don't have any dual-impeller fans. It would be nice to have one for fun I'm sure, but they are quite rare.

I got these fans on ebay in November, sold very cheaply as HP server fans - first three are about 200 CFM, and the fourth is 220 CFM :rock:

[​IMG]

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You running them on your TRUE Cu, Lenny? :D

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah I think every fan in my house has been on the TRUE Cu at one point, but recently I swapped the TRUE Cu for a regular one - about 1/3 of the weight and temps are only 2-3C higher under load, so I'm happy :D

[​IMG]

9. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Oh those, I remember those. They used to do a 8CM version ~ 10 or so years ago.

I had it mounted on an Alpha PAL 8045 heatsink on my Socket A board overclocking an Athlon-M (Palomino core before it became Athlon XP) to something reculous.

That impeller really does focus the airflow and allow serious movement but by george they are NOISY! It could be heard over the Dyson...

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have four of the Nidec 350s in my server.

LOUD