1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The World Of Professional Starcraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Mar 2012.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

big chap (names Glenn) , used to play BF2 with him in [L.Inc] along long time ago

2. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

My favourite SC2 match so far was ThorZain Vs MC at a tournament I have since forgotten. It might have been dreamhack.

ThorZain survived MCs DT harrass while getting super fast early updrades and just crushed arguably the best protoss player in the world (at the time).

If anyone knows the series and would care to link the video you'd be a hero :thumb:

That game sold SC2 as a game to me.

3. m4rk3d

m4rk3d Minimodder

From today until Saturday the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship is running in Hannover.

Live streams of a lot of games are on ESL TV. You can find a list of the participants at Team Liquid (one of the biggest Starcraft community sites.)

Last edited: 6 Mar 2012
  4. ZeiZu

ZeiZu What's a Dremel?

Hard to believe TotalBiscuit isn't mentioned since he's well known at least in the nordic countries for his casting and he has a channel in youtube dedicated for StarCraft just like the other mentioned.

Also, the new GSL champion was decided a couple of days ago, the round of 32 was weeks ago. That finale was just something unbelivable :) The korean eSprots shows are incredibly well produced!

Otherwise very nice article! :)

5. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

They need to stop calling them E-Sports. Snooker is a sport. Darts is a sport. Archery, pistol shooting, golf and shot-put are sports. StarCraft is, therefore, a sport. Calling them E-Sports just diminishes them. When you've got guys competing at that level of excellence they're sportsmen. Not sure why people hang onto the idea that for something to be a sport it has to involve breaking a sweat.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

It's not a diminishing mark to be called an e-sport. It's simply a moniker which explains to people that the sport "Starcraft" is an electronic sport. It would be the same as calling swimming w-sport for water sport or football/soccer for g-sport for grass sport.

7. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Thorzain's Allkill was pretty impressive for Mouz.

8. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

I spend hours a day watching Liquid'TLO, CoL.CatZ, and EG.iNcontroL.

Amazing.

You can find live streams from players on TeamLiquid.

9. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

My two cents?

I think that game-playing can be a good way to wind down the day.

But spending most of your day in front of the screen, staring at it?

People have died playing games non-stop!

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

You could say the same about any sport though.
    Its probably less harmful than martial or weightlifting category sports.

11. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

I think this passes my threshold for computer game love. Not knocking anyone involved mind.

12. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Not really sure how you can call Day9 an amateur caster (you realise he was a Starcraft pro gamer up till 2007 http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Day(9) , with some pretty awesome achievements!). Unless you mean his style is focused toward amateurs, which I would agree with to some extent, but he does make his casting accessible to all!

And it's awesome that SC2 is getting some exposure on broader sites like Bit tech ! :D

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A large number of people stare at screens all day as part of their jobs. We commend them for having professional careers and being hard workers. How is it any worse having SC2 on your screen rather than spreadsheets or lines of code?

All of those famous cases of people dying while playing video games were people with terribly unhealthy lifestyles and no self control who literally played to their deaths through neglect of their own bodily needs. Even a professional gamer devoting a large portion of time to playing video games is perfectly capable of stopping to at least eat and sleep, you might notice from the various videos linked that the competitors appear to be in decent health and decently groomed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX60j_rlTOA

Interesting bit from Penn and Teller comparing violent video games to American Football. The bit about how things would be different if video games were created before traditional sports really applies to this discussion, and the figures of deaths from football also go to show how gaming is less physically harmful.

14. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

SO...............few things wrong in the article. BUt meh......SC2 for the win baby.

P.S -> Day 9 is no amateur Caster....that is his full time job now. And arguably the most knowledgeable caster out there.

Anyways.........Bring on HoTS.....and lets hope that we dont resort back to the games when WoL first kick off.....(aka.....CHEESEVILL)

15. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

16. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

This is false. Dota2 had one large cash prize tournament at it's beta launch. After that it falls behind LoL for prize money.

LoL also dwarfs Dota2 spectators and SC2 spectators in the West.

Tags: Add Tags