1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Thoughts On Macro Keys

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

roboform is prob a better solution for filling out forms by the way :)

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The forward and back "keys" on my mouse are super nice for switching from rifle to pistol in BFBC2. I can tell I'm getting more pistol kill and less deaths after I bought the mouse

4. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

I specifically buy keyboards without macro keys. I play a game requiring extensive use of Tab, Shift, Ctrl - so I rest my hand exactly where the macro keys would be. Even if I didn't play that, my decision would be the same, because I can't remember a standard key set let alone what each macro key does - I'm a mouse-man.

5. Somebody_007

Somebody_007 What's a Dremel?

Hmm suprising no-one else does that. I do exactly the same. I use 1 macro for my email addres, another for google, another for bit-tech :p, etc..... The only ones I really use for games are the 2 on my mouse, because in the end all games are made to be functional with a regular keyboard and mouse so you don't need say 5 macros to be able to do all the commands easily.

6. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

In terms of mice, I use only one macro key - a thumb key - for push-to-talk. So I can headshot you and brag about it simultaneously.

7. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

I assign Ctrl-Shift-Tab to scroll left, Ctrl-Tab to scroll right on my mouse and the button typically used for Back is instead mapped to Ctrl-W. This allows me to single-handedly surf and navigate pages and change tabs effortlessly. When I upgraded my G7 to a G9x (graciously provided by Logitech for free, since the gawful G7 always dropped out), I also mapped Ctrl-0 to the Forward button, and the Sensitivity +/- buttons to Ctrl-Plus and Ctrl-Minus, for zoom.

8. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Hmm macro keys are certainly useful, personally I find them more useful for work (design) purposes than games. Speaking of which, I was browsing through the bit-tech archives and came across a review of the WolfKing Warrior. Does anyone know if you had that and a standard keyboard attached at the same time, could I create macros specifically for the keys on the Warrior? So, for example, could I use 'F' on the second keyboard as 'Ctrl+Shift+F' without it also mapping to the first keyboard?

Might have to wait till tomorrow when I can test with two keyboards at work.

9. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

i use my G15 macro keys in starcraft2,
    Never thought about putting form information on them, I find it hard to get use to using the macro keys though

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I often considered getting a Nostromo Speedpad (?) when I was doing CAD work. I think I could have been much more productive with that.

Failing that, a usb number pad would have been great - who the hell came up with the idea of putting the numpad on the right of the keyboard so that you have to take your hand of the mouse to enter numbers? It used to drive me mad. And don't tell me I could use the number row at the top, because it's absolutely useless for entering lots of numbers quickly.

11. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

I use a g5, for CS:S push left on wheel is rifle, push right is pistol, saved me many a time. I have my G15 keys set up for standard chat stuff but I can't remember what does what any more so its pretty useless. Tbh, most of the stuff you mentioned is handled by letting my browser save commonly used info with a bit of discretion.

12. Somebody_007

Somebody_007 What's a Dremel?

Lol I have a sidewinder x6 and I put my numbad on the left next to my macros ;)

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I use my G110 keys in WoW a lot, but not for actual game play, but for bringing up menus and stuff in "down time" in the auction house, or searching for raid groups etc. I tend to use the buttons on my G5 mouse more for actual playing. For moving I obviously use WASD, but when engaged, I move my hand right, and have mapped ERTYDFGHCVB as macro keys, as It just seems to work for me. I have my G5 buttons mainly for breaking CC spells and other trinkets/spells for breaking out of anything that stops me moving (druid roots, hunter traps etc).

I follow this same pattern for other games too. Custom keys mainly for controlling menus and functions, and rely on the main keyboard for actual game play.

14. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

In TF2 having my two thumb buttons bound to 3 (melee weapon) and b (last disguise) makes being a spy that much more effective! ^^

Am I right in thinking that a keystroke assignment and a macro are not the same thing? I thought a macro was a sequence of actions rather than just the one.

15. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Macro keys can be abused to cheat. Allowing, in instances where it matters, users to execute long command sequences in rapid succession unlike a human being is capable of clearly gives the user an advantage over the other. If hardware macroing is perfectly acceptable then so too must be software macroing? Alas, this is not true. World of Warcrafts own EULA states that macroing of any kind is in breach of the EULA. Only difference between a G15 and AutoHotKey is that it's easier for Blizzard to spot you're using AHK.

I can think of a few RTS games I've played that've been completely ruined by Macros.

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I find the macro keys pointless in game, personally I find it boarder line cheating because some keyboards allow you to bind a series of commands together and alter their timings which is unfair for the vast majority.

I do however use a few keys on my G15 for desktop tasks such as opening Word or Firefox etc. I do use the buttons on my mouse as well, they are great for using as the voice chat command in game.

17. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Or you can just use the LastPass add-on for Firefox to have it remember types of forms, save your personal information and autofill it as necessary. No overpriced macro keys required!

18. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I have to agree in online play macros should not be allowed as they give an unfair advantage to those using them, I personally consider the use of macros in online gaming to be cheating if used in the way outlined by 4rm. I use a razer tarantula for my gaming which as you guys know has macro keys my macro use is restricted to opening files IE:pRESSING L1 OR R1 ETC to open a specific programme whether that be cs4 or whatever not for online cheating

19. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised no-one mentioned AutoHotKey sooner - an amazingly powerful (and free!) program that can set macros to keys, mouse and joystick buttons. Sample scripts showing its capability can be found on Wikipedia's AutoHotKey description and the AutoHotKey Script Showcase.

For the record, I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander which has nifty macro features (and buttons which light up when assigned!) which can be handy with some games - just have to take the time to program (and remember!) those buttons...

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i do this macro thing but with a fingerprint reader. i wrote a program for linux where all 10 of my fingerprints can do something different. i could scan one and start up a web browser directly into my e-mail, or i could use the same fingerprint and log-into a website using the same account information. this way theres no security risk but its just as convenient

Tags: Add Tags