1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve sets Steam Direct publishing fee

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Jun 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This does nothing to address the concerns of Steam users, it just makes Valve more money from Russian troll developers.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

So, the same situation as with Greenlight's crapware flood, but now with even less restriction on the flood?
    Well done Valve, you've managed to make your problem even worse.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

$100 is fine as long as they stick to their word and have good oversight on the games they allow on steam. If they throw manpower at it and are consistent with their rules they'll be fine.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They acknowledge there's an issue and are taking steps. Charging indie devs $5000 to get a foot in the door wouldn't stop the serious scam artists but would certainly hurt innovation.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They said they will make other changes as well, like for example cracking down on the exploitation of the retarded trading card market, changing the store algorithm to hide crapware etc...

Jim Sterling talks about that in the video he did after his visit to Valve:

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Greenlight caused Steam to turn from a respected platform into something...ugly.

There are a few gems though. Black Mesa springs to mind, but it was already a well respected mod before going on Greenlight.

7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Honestly, I always thought Greenlight had very little impact. Because it was where games went to die. It didn't matter how good your product looked or how much interest it attracted, there was almost no way to get out of Greenlight, and the games that WERE approved seemed to be chosen at random in spite of the much-hyped voting system.

Which was all very disappointing, as I rather liked the promise of the Steam storefront being available to smaller developers that didn't have triple-A budgets and huge publishing contracts.