1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Water cooling components?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stwongbad, 15 Jun 2006.

1. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

When I have the money (round july) Im thinking of investing In a watercooling system but I need help picking out some of the components such as the radiator , a pump and tubing among other things

Ive been thinking about a Black Ice GT120 cause the case Im modding isnt large enough (or at least im not sure , unless i can find a creative place to put it) But im worried if it will cool the components im planning to cool enough. (CPU,GPU)

Also I know nothing about pumps although Ive read some of the "usefull threads" on watercooling (dont get me wrong they helped alot) so maybe people could help me and possibly give me a possible price list.

tubing sizes? anyone who could list the pros and cons would be helpfull.

Any help at all , even some constructive criticism could help, thanks.

2. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

What kind of Processor and Video Card are you talking about?

3. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

4. Stwongbad

My system is build around a AMD 64 3200 (bottlenecking I know but maybe Ill oc :naughty: ) and a X1800XT {512mb} as well as a hard disk an audigy 2 ZS and a CD drive.

thanks malccy havent read it yet but is there pictures in that thread? *neeeds pictures*

Last edited: 15 Jun 2006
  5. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Whole list of useful information is also found in good ole' Bt-tech

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=102026

Are you going to watercool both the gpu and the cpu? Would recommend a Swiftech kit possibly as these contain good quality pump and blocks etc in one package.

Decide on what you want to watercool, the case your going to use and your budget you have to spend.

6. Stwongbad

Do you think it'd be possible to just get a swifttech kit and just add dangerden vga cooler? (or a swiftech which is better?) are the swiftech rads good?

Btw ive looked on this site and others about watercooling so I need help choosing components thats the thing...Its nice that this one is so good and that one is so bad , man I need a straight answer! "This res is lyk the best" would at least give me somthing to work with you know what I mean?

(yes im watercooling the gpu and cpu) My budget should be about 200$ , 250$ for the main components, for extras (water additives?) I could always drop a little more.

7. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Yes you can add a dd or a switftech vga block later to kit if want and both are good quality.

I personally recommend a 120.2 rad swiftech kit - this will include a 2x120mm fan size rad, cpu block, res, tubing, pump, additive and all fittings and is imo the best way to begin wc.

Know your in USA but this is kit in UK:

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product.php?productid=18645&cat=440&view=rel

8. Stwongbad

yes the kit im planning to get has all that too but only 1 120mm rad, (is it possible to buy another one later and just daisy chain them? ***? please?) It seems like i could just buy another radiator later when i have the $$$

Yeah that looks like a good setup but im hoping to get a vga cooler too.

Darn the pound is so strong ;-; I wish I could go to england for the summer like I did before { I was looking so forward to the cup} and...a candy bar for 50p <- that is good sheit.

Dont flame me for this but im only 13 and get money round each month for the things i generally do so my budget is my birthdaymoney/monthly pay for 2 months

(dont tell anyone..but im inviting alot of children to come to my house that I only kinda know because when you cant get a thoughtfull present...you give them cash! and at this rate..ima need about 200 kids crammed into one pool)

9. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

I'm sure you can buy the same swiftech kit in the usa - prob cheaper.

Would say use a 120.2 rad rather than 2x smaller ones daisychained. Sure could fit either roof or floor of case if have lack of room.

10. Stwongbad

Thing is bud i dont have enough money for dual 120mm and a vga cooler cause that'd be bustin 300$ and thats a no-no.

11. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Suggest leave the vga block for now and just focus on the cpu. If you buy a single 120 rad you will only regret not waiting and saving a little longer for the 120.2 rad.

12. Stwongbad

Do you think ebay would do any good for my search?

13. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Buying second-hand is fine; all the parts for my next wc build are used - just make sure all fittings are included.

You need to do some googling tbh mate - search around for best deals for the wc bits/kit, find a suitable case etc.

14. Stwongbad

cool thanks, How big a case do you think i should have for dual 120mm rads at the top

15. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

A standard ATX case should be fine but depends on the psu positioning etc tbh. What cases do you like and are considering?

16. Stwongbad

Well Im already using a NZXT nemesis and after awhile I really dont like it, its...too solid in the way that everything is riveted together theres no place to route anything (I had to prey open some drive bays to I could route cables to the backpanel). I have to admit I was a little nubbish when I bought this case just cause it looked cool.
    (I hate it at the moment)
    Also have a raidmax scorpion. but both cases a little over the top for my first WC/mod project so right now im trying to get $$$ for a case but after a little searching

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811164069 I think this case would do nicely with a little paint and I think it has room?

(all the cases psu's have been in the...normal place? (topleft)

17. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

- How much work do you want to do?
    - Do you want a ready-made case that you just fit everything in or do you want a basic case that you can mod?
    - Do you want a side window to show off the wc setup?

The case you link to is a good start but wonder whether or not you want to mod and add windows etc.

I'm all for buying second-hand and feel that the money you have could buy a lot better case although second hand; I recently bought a second-hand lian-li 71 case for less than half the original price.

Maybe have a look at auction sites or even the 'for sale' section of bit-tech.

As say if you want to get hands dirty the case you have shown could be a good canvs to work with.

18. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Just went to dangerden.com and priced a kit for you.

GT 120 (the 240's are like 5 bucks more)
    Mag II (Nice small quite pump, 12v still powerfull)
    fillport/res
    TDX
    Maze 4 GPU
    15ft clearflex 1/2inch (I reccomend 3/8ths though for your first kit. It's easier to work with)

All of this was just under $250 shipped. and I have a cupon you can use for 20% off if you PM me.
    so it'd be $225 for a very decent kit

19. Stwongbad

Yeah malccy I think Ill get a window/paint aswell as adding a couple 120mm holes for the rad. (I would love to go to the for-sale section but Ive browsed the forums for awhile but joined only weeks ago)

Fozzy thanks alot for doing that it helps alot and as soon as I get a budget I will pm you for that coupon , Ill be sorting out my budget today so no worries

20. Stwongbad

Sorry for the double post but I just made 30$ and couldnt get on the computer (hard labor :waah: ). my budget is about 230$ right now so i hope it'l get me a decent watercooling setup but before I got out and splurge on watercooling do any of you guys think I dont need it? after all I havent OC'd much yet and I have good temps on air so watercooling other than looking cool might as well be overkill

Tags: