1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What’s next for the GeForce 500-series?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 10 Nov 2010.

1. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

But as you point out MEMEROOT there was a reason for that, chip yeilds.

It's taken 8 months for nVidia to fix the 480 starting from a point where they knew on release it would need fixing. I'm not saying the 460 is simularly broken but would nVidia have already started about a respin to fix yields for the 460?

I think more like is that they'll bump up the clocks so that what is currently an oc'd 460 becomes a standard 560... as that card does currently sit between the 6850/6870.

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Oh right, i was basing myself on a quick look here at this pic from anandtech:
    http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/NVIDIA/GTX460/fullGF104.jpg

Most of the issues above still stand though. All this speculation of a GTX560 is complete BS, because a new design (NF114) would be needed, not a toned-down version of th NF110

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

one of the big changes they made was in the transistors used across the 110 compared to the 100, this could be cross applicable to the 104 making the 114 enabling the activation of the SM's

I dont think however you will see the same increase in clocks as between the 100 and 110 (as the 104 already clocks high)

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The GF104 in the 460 has one SM disabled. Either this due to yields or to prevent straight up in house competition with the much-more-expensive-to-produce 470.

A '560' with 384 shaders and a core clock of 800 mhz could make a refresh of the 470 pointless (unless the latter has a SM increase to 480 plus a core clock increase - basically making it a 480).

5. memeroot

@xaser04

I think thats what the article suggests will happen

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Indeed, I missed that at first glance.

It's a shame though that we will see an entire 'new' line of GPU's that arn't much faster than the 'previous gen' models.

7. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

These are all very good points but all the competing ATI GPUs already released consume less power. In fact they will always have die size and power consumption on their side. The GTX 460 for instance is in it's current form already rather power hungry for the performance, they're very overclockable NOW but what happens with extra units enabled? They'll be less overclockable and consume more power again. Yes, were not in the GF100 league of power consumption and it's not excessive, but going forward the power numbers will only get worse and likely disproportionately so in relation to performance growth.

Although it's not the be-all and end-all of things, as much as GTX 580 reviews state wait on Cayman to launch, conclusions of future GF104 derivatives will say that they are hotter and larger chips than competing ATI products. Manufacturing cost and performance per watt will be lucrative avenues to compete with until 28nm is ready next year.

8. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

As has been pointed out several times already; this blog is mere speculation based on some flawed premises. It shouldn't be on the front page as it is mixed in with articles and so could be easily confused with one.

Whether or not AMD is letting the DX11 lead slip through its' fingers; Bit-tech is letting its' journalistic integrity slip through its' fingers with such trash. Next thing you know they'll start reporting celebrity gossip.

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

10. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

True, but if you look at the GTX580 review, they say its awesome, BUT you would be a fool to buy one right now. They recommend waiting until AMD release their new cards. I would read this as "AMD has something good up its sleeve, just wait and see)

Now, to all those thinking that BT are being bias, the fact they recommend NOT going out and buying one yet is (IMO) proof that they are still unbias.

11. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Here here well said do_it_anyway i think your spot on with your comment the fact that BT recommended holding off till AMD shows its hand is proof they are unbiased,precisely the reason why I buy pc upgrades based on both pc reviews and comments from forum members who own and have used the products we all know from experience we can trust BT reviews and advice certainly from my piont of view at least

12. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Wow it's a blog post that even mentions that it's conjecture and you fanbois turn it into a shitfest with misinformation flying around.

Why don't you idiots stop pledging your soul to a commercial entity and just enjoy the tech.

13. new_world_order

new_world_order 4.0 GHz Dremel

My thoughts exactly.

14. new_world_order

new_world_order 4.0 GHz Dremel

Just noticed your avatar was Donald Sutherland from Kelly's Heroes, great movie :)

15. memeroot

"It's a shame though that we will see an entire 'new' line of GPU's that arn't much faster than the 'previous gen' models."

and with a cheapo 2nd hand gx2 says history repeats its self.....

having said that the new gen for me is getting interesting 580 is nice, new gx2 cards soon - wallet begging to be opened.

16. Zaim

Zaim Minimodder

I agree, There last dual card was the 295 which was good.

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That's right - where is dual Fermi? I would say it will be dual GTX470 or a'la GTX570...
    I would buy it, definitely...

Tags: Add Tags