1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What’s your IPS story?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 3 Aug 2011.

1. annelerilekizlari

annelerilekizlari What's a Dremel?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Noo.. wrong place. Try YPbBr :D This is the input color format... it is in the case you are sending a different signal from your inputs that is not the standard computer RGB color model.

You want to go down, to "Preset Modes" on the same location (Menu > Color settings > Preset modes). And pick Adobe RGB or sRGB. These are the 2 pre-calibrated color profile that comes with your monitor.

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

my IPS story began with Dell 2209WA - a truly great monitor, the colours, viewing angles, build quality and the design were all fantastic. (i've upgraded from a 19", 4:3 Viewsonic VX 922)

i have to admit though that i quickly got used to the bigger screen and it left me wanting for moar.

the U2410 was the logical step up but i felt the price difference was too big for the extra 2"
    U2711 looked great but again was too expensive for me, well until i found one on Marketplace (cheers MrGumby)

I love the U2711, the only downside is that you need a powerful GPU (or two) to run games maxed out, but at least now i have the excuse to try SLI/Crossfire :hehe:

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I've been using IPS since 2004, when a 20" 1680x1050 IPS screen cost £1050. Since then I've bought only IPS screens, ranging from size from 20" to 30" and everything in-between.

Currently using an old Apple 23" Cinema Display (DVI) on the PC, which calibrates fantastically, and is matte. 27" Apple LED display on the Mac Pro, which is a nice screen as well, similar to the U2711H but not matte or CCFL backlit - does have the advantage of built in speakers and webcam, as well as being £200 cheaper when I bought it ages ago.

5. GoodBytes

built-in speaker? Really?!
    I am sorry, all these built-in speakers are so horrible, might as well not exists.
    A nice pair 2.1 even sub 50$ are MILES better than any computer monitor built-in speakers.

At work, I have the iMac 22inch (it's the only way I could have an IPS panel.. running WIin7 exclusively on it, last gen with Core 2 Duo, and using a normal computer keyboard and mouse), and the sound from it, is equal to a laptop... in other words.. why do they even bother, butting one. If you are going to put one, but a real speaker.. at least stereo.

The webcam is also disappointing.. it's not awful, but my good old Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 beats it.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

GoodBytes made me get the U2410, I'm glad he did

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The speakers in the 27"ers is pretty reasonable, especially if you're not doing anything special on them - there's a lot more space in the chassis than in the 20 or 21.5" iMacs. I've got 'proper' speakers for music (namely a rather expensive home theatre system with a pair of upright fronts for stereo), just not hooked up to the computer - streaming is the way forward!

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Apple's built-in speakers are pretty good. even my thin iPad 2 speaker is very loud and room filling. Only thing it lacks is bass notes, compared to my Logitech 5.1.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I’m just about to start mine, this morning I got a fantastic deal on a 24” S-IPS HP ZR24w with two years warranty on ebay - £205!

It seems it’s a great panel for gaming with super low response times, and input lag, but the black levels at stock settings aren’t as good as some other panels. In any case, I’ll let you all know my thoughts as soon as it arrives.

10. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I've just started mine too, just bought a 2209WA off smc (great and easy purchase) for a very good price and so far loving it, just loaded up Crysis... woah.

How should I be calibrating it though? *Cough* Goodbytes *Cough*
    I've tried the lagom test online but it doesn't seem to be making too much of a difference for me.

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't know for certain but this might help you out mate!

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

those ICC profiles are per monitor. every monitor is different.

13. GoodBytes

Exactly.. every monitor is different. The simple fact of having a different back light, would mean that this ICC profile might make everything look strange. Example.. if I put the U2410 on that side in mine, all my pictures are blue... like boosted the blue really high on the monitor.

The best method to calibrate a screen is to get a color calibrator... Lagom site is pretty good for a visual test. You won't get perfection everywhere unless you spend 1 month on it, and even then.. be limited by the monitor as it's not a 3000-4000$ monitor.

If you have a pretty good digital camera, take a picture of the outside, with lots of color. Put it on your computer, and try to visually adjust colors so that it looks somewhat fine.

The problem going visually, is that if this is your first IPS panel and you come from a TN panel.. then what you might think is right.. is well wrong.

I don't have the monitor to try and be more helpful, like share my values, so that you get something somewhat close, and you can fine tune to compensate the different panel batch difference, and back light. But have a spin at the monitor pre-set colors, see what you have. If you have sRGB (it's not pre-calibrated, but should be somewhat of a good start, compared to "store shelf settings" the default settings that you see now out of the box), see how it looks. It might help to adjust and perfect with Lagom web site.

14. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I had a 19" TN Viewsonic monitor, very highly rated in its time, but when I bought my new computer I decided I had to upgrade to a new monitor (or two). At first I bought a Dell 1906FP (TN) to add to my current screen, then I picked up an 'as new' 2209WA for under £100 and sat it on my desk next to the other Dell and wow - what a difference. Today I ordered two more for the same price from the same guy, both as new. I'll keep the 19" Dell for use with my laptop but the three 2209WAs are going on the wall of my newly redecorated room (as soon as it is finished). I can't wait.

15. Ratchet219

Ratchet219 What's a Dremel?

What about you GoodBytes? You always talk about IPS, yet you never told us your story… At least I never heard it. Had make new account just to ask Bytes for a story.

Siwini likes this.
  16. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Thanks for the info Goodbytes. I don't think it's worth me spending hundreds of pounds on a good calibrator but I'll try the digital photo tip, luckily I have a DSLR to use.

I know that it won't necessarily suit my monitor perfectly but could you please post the settings you use? Just out of curiosity and to see if there's any improvement.

I tried a night scene in Crysis and I was surprised by how little I could see. I was about to ask if other people had this problem and whether it was a fault when I remembered that IPS screens have much darker blacks. :duh: I guess I'm still adjusting from the world of TN panels.

17. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I have a ZR24W and an iPhone 4 and as much as they're beautiful screens with great colours and awesome contrast ratios I am still happy to use TN monitors for example in my laptop. I can tell the difference and enjoy using my IPS screens but am still fine working with TN screens. I Use Digital Vibrance (in the Nvidia Driver settings) to emulate the better colours of the IPS screens on TN panels. Use it on my laptop and although the viewing angles aren't that great the colours and contrast aren't bad.

18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I have a dell 27" IPS and a yuraku 24" with MVA panel right next to each other and tbh the Dell IPS panel is still way better than the other the colours are so much better

19. GoodBytes

The iPhone 4 colors and sharpness are far from impressive. It is better than many phones out there, but compared to a very entry level desktop IPS panel.. it's far from being somewhat close.

Also, digital vibrance simply over saturated your colors.
    In other words, everything you are seeing now is cartoon'ish garbage effect, which you think it's right and nice. Also, you lose a huge amount of colors. Simple example: light gray for examples, turns out to be white, due to the digital vibrance level.

Also, the iPhone 4 displays colors are poor, because the panel colors are adjusted to make the screen more visible under light... kinda like boosting the digital vibrance of your screen...

Last edited: 9 Aug 2011
  20. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I take your point about the iPhone 4 colors but the ppi is so much higher that in my opinion images appear really sharp. I use digital vibrance in combination with lowering the strength of Blue's on TN panels which are washed out and have a a blue tint and the results are much better than the stock setup. I don't use it so much it's over saturated, Just so the colors come into line with my IPS panel.