1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling What do you look for in a barrel-type res?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KayinBlack, 19 Mar 2007.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

As I posted in my project log, I've created my own clear cast barrel res, but I'm looking to improve it to the point where people would actually care to pay for it. What features are you guys looking for that the standards (Aquatube, Fass-o-Matic, Cape Bullseye) aren't offering? Is there something that could be done better? Just want it a bit bigger? Any feedback at all, I'm interested in hearing. Hopefully it'll help me offer a product that can benefit us all...

2. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

* Flexibility in mounting

*Flexbility with fittings - e.g. standard threaded couplings, that allow the fittings to be substituted to suit different tubing diameter, or swap between straight and right angle fittings.

eg, put two threaded holes or couplings in either end, to provide flexibility - the tubes could both be connected to the same end, or different ends, on either side of the res, flexible options like that. Unused couplings can just be blanked off with appropriate fixtures.

* Mounting holes for LED lighting, for example, in a replaceable, flexible way.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As g0th says really, fitting flexibility is an absolute must. G1/4" fittings is also a must, so people can use the maximum number of barbs. :)

4. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

something like the EK multioption tbh but with a few more outputs. plenty of outputs and has to be G1/4" fittings. got any pics to your original design?

5. KayinBlack

Yeah, I'll post one in a sec. My own is a prototype, to start figuring this out.

Is six inlet/outlets not enough? The aquatube has that many (the G1/8 version, anyway), I figured that was well enough. But, I have some ideas that may make people happy. I'm woolgathering before I pour another.

6. Axel

Axel What's a Dremel?

Looks

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Barrel shape?
    Input/Output
    Least I forget the most important, non leaking and able to hold liquid :D

In all seriousness, The way it is mounted. Different sizes, like a large squat one for use in drive bays, or long slim one for mounting next to motherboard.

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

How about a bit of innovation and not another aqua-tube clone? :blah:

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The problem is, the aquatube is nigh on perfect. That is why he is asking for ideas so he can make it different.

10. Boxcarhobo

Boxcarhobo What's a Dremel?

I'd love to see criticool waterplant clone as they dont make them anymore.
    so you can see the water in it

11. KayinBlack

These are clear polycarbonate.

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

one with a corckscrew in it would be cool bit more too look at like the tubes from Resident evil :) or those curly straws you got as a kid :)

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The T virus, I was thinking exactly this yesterday, It would be quite difficult though.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've found that six is usually enough, but I'd rather have something like five on the bottom and one on the side. With the bottom-mount accessories (aquajet, tubemeter, etc) that serve no purpose on the side, I've found that the 3/3 config isn't great since I need to use an angled fitting on the side for the outlet - obviously less than ideal.

But then again, I'm weird that way.

15. KayinBlack

That does makes sense.

I'm getting in some G1/2 3/8" compressions this next week, I'm gonna be experimenting with those as a standard fitting. They seem to be small enough to fit five on the back...

16. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Holy Thread revival Batman. But I still remember what your on about, but I was meaning that the twists be pipes so the coloured water goes through them. That way you can have a dual loop with clear and green water and have the green run through the clear res.

Tags: