1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Dec 2009.

1. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

Where's the Lycosa?

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

These actually look quite good but price is an issue as you've mentioned. I really like the look of some of the DAS ones!

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I's also impossible to wear the keys of the das... there aren't any (on the geek version)

I'd vote cherry every time

4. sear

sear Guest

What baffles me these days is that while keyboards are going up and up in features and looks, they are continually getting worse in terms of durability. I've had several keyboards over the last two years, and the use of rubber membranes for the key contacts means that they get worn out extremely quickly. They might be quiet initially, and nice and easy to use, but that quickly wears out - first they get loud, then the keys start to stick, and then finally they get mushy and soft until they have no tactile response altogether. Most only last about 7-8 months for me, which is criminal.

What's even more offensive, though, is that there is no evidence whatsoever that a more expensive keyboard means better build quality anymore. I just bought a Logitech Access 600 (or something) and I can say that it is leagues better than any expensive keyboard I've used in a while. It cost me $13 CAD and has great, responsive, almost IBM-style keys, a mostly untampered-with layout, media buttons and volume wheel, and it looks good on top of that. Oh, and it uses SetPoint, which, while bloated, at least is the same software my mouse uses, so I don't need to have two things running at once. While I can't say it will last forever, the feel of the keys leads me to believe that it will certainly keep in good shape for a lot longer than its absurdly-priced brethren. That the price is so low makes me feel that Logitech and the other keyboard makers are being disingenuous towards their customers.

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The Razor Arctosa keyboard reviewed looks identical to my Razer Lycosa keyboard.

I cant recommend it Im afraid. The back lights turn themselves off sometimes at random, sometimes certain keys dont work properly when pressed (no action). Seems completely random (both in Vista and Windows 7). Also the back lights are not an even brightness (or bright enough). The escape key for example is hardly lit at all.

I was shocked when doing a search that countless other people have similar issues.. there is a hardware fix you can perform which helps matters.. but personally Im just looking for a replacement now (and it wont be a Razer this time)

Only reason I got this keyboard was to replace my Saitek Eclipse II which has simply stopped working all together.. Might have to get another one of those.. brilliant keyboard.

6. NYCmob79

NYCmob79 What's a Dremel?

I was looking forward to this review. But I was so disappointed when I read it. You never mentioned mechanical keyboard & n-key rollover. It seems no one cares for these gaming essential features. I believe the only keyboard on that list worth the name of gaming keyboard is the SteelSeries 7G; but you put it down by saying it is not as flashy as the Logitech G19. You don't know how cheap the keys feel on the G19... I am using a Dell default keyboard to type this and I can tell you the Logitech G19 feels the same and costs 300% more. Nuff Rantin'

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

A Dell keyboard cost you £35? No wonder you are ranting:thumb:

8. enikmaster

enikmaster What's a Dremel?

I didn't have that kind of issue with that keyboard. I've had that kind of issue with a Logitech mouse, the G9, but only when I typed characters like this: ´´``~~^^. and I never get that fixed permanently. when I restarted my pc it started all over again.

Also tested an Arctosa and didn't liked it. It feeled so poor quality of the plastics... the software was great, but it's not enough to justify the 60€ it costs. I just don't like those low profile keyboard.

And if you really have good money to spend (and I mean really good money) you must consider Art Lebdev's Optimus Maximus. So so cool, so so practical, so so expensive...

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/[url]

9. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 IS the winner :) why pay more than $10...

10. NYCmob79

NYCmob79 What's a Dremel?

M7ck:

I meant to say my cheap keyboard @ work feels the same as a G19. And of course this Dell keyboard don't cost near what you are saying at best I would say 5 USD, while the G19 has a MSRP of 200 USD.

Of course at home on my gaming rig I don't use such keyboards. I am currently waiting for SteelSeries to release a proper keyboard layout of the 7G. According to the last e-mail I got from them it should arrive early next year. I am using a DAS Keyboard; but it is limited to 6 key rollover due to the USB bus limitations.

My point in all this is that you can't compare a rubber dome keyboard to a mechanical one. The feel is out of this world. Is not even day & night, not apple to oranges. Once you played with a mechanical keyboard the rubber dome feels like trash!

11. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Once you've played with a mechanical keyboard, the rubber dome sounds as though the sound level for the rubber dome is in the negatives instead... ;)

12. andyp06

andyp06 What's a Dremel?

I have an Eclipse II, which was raved about at the time. I have to say the illumination is poor & the spacebar is crap. Is the Eclipse III any better anybody?

13. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

Well I have a zboard. Can't really recommend it as the drivers just don't work right on Windows 7 Major FAIL!
    So I'm looking for something else with a reorganised WASD Area for my big fingers! lol
    I'm no closer to finding something to replace it with!
    -J

14. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

I had and broke three of the original Saitek Eclipses. Loved them, but sadly just not durable enough. The spacebars died on two, the T key on the other. When it came to getting a fourth I had to decide enough was enough (especially as the originals were getting harder to find at a decent price with several new versions released) and got a G11. Which is also very nice :)

15. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

My v1 G15 is awesome. I don't want any of this new batch.

16. enikmaster

enikmaster What's a Dremel?

Well, have to say that although I've had tested several gaming keyboards, at work I'm using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite and a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Wireless Keyboard... I just love this huge thing. It's so bad for gaming. lol

17. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Best Keyboard: The $5 one from wal-mart I buy once a year.

18. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

The Zboard Merc is hands down the ultimate for fps games. :)

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Freaking fingerprint plastic. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to add shiny black plastic to a product that gets touched all the time... Sigh. I'm starting to hate the fingerprint plastic as much as blue leds.

G15 rev 2 still serving here. The original typing touch is somewhat gone, so I try not to test any new keyboards as so not to notice how bad this is getting. I don't use the screen for anything, don't even have the driver installed, I just couldn't care less about real-time CPU-usage or what ever. Also while playing I tend to look at the monitor rather than keyboard so just what's the point...

20. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

The Razer Tarantula is the best FPS keyboard by a counrty mile, sod off you logitech Sheep..
    Hyper responsive
    2 x usb
    sound and mic
    media hotkeys galore
    Macro like a maniac
    Anti ghosting saves your life countless times.
    Just eat it up..

Tags: Add Tags