1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What to get??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jon1984, 4 Feb 2010.

1. jon1984

jon1984 What's a Dremel?

Ok folks, I posted a while back about building a new system, sadly funds were tight but now can get one. Thing is I found a Novatech iRush Pro which didnt seem too bad. Cant decide if to buy this or get everything from eBuyer and build myself (similar spec). Price wise it would be a bit more from eBuyer.

Also can anyone suggest a good monitor, have looked at the LG W2361V and quite tempted.

Cheers

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i would make you own pc nearly always the best option

3. shaunboy

shaunboy Phenom II's are cool guys

Well for starters, the p.c isn't really worth £600 with the graphics :/

4. jon1984

jon1984 What's a Dremel?

Cant really afford a 5850 though. I have seen a Mesh for £845 with a 24" monitor and same specs as the Novatech but im just really stumped here, want to try keep everything under £900 with a monitor and OS.

5. shaunboy

shaunboy Phenom II's are cool guys

I think there is a 5830 that was supposed to be released this week with the 5450, should probably wait for that as I'm guessing the price will be around £180.

6. jon1984

jon1984 What's a Dremel?

hmm yeah, rumours suggest tomorrow but will give it a week or so, worth a look even if i go for a 5770

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

8. jon1984

jon1984 What's a Dremel?

So whats wrong with a 5770 then? Seems a decent card for the price.

9. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

If you have the option, you should always build yourself. The NovaTech build looks OK but building it yourself you'll have much greater control over the quality of the components (note that they don't specify the make of PSU or motherboard in those specifications, which implies they may be sub-par) and you'll also benefit from a much longer component warranty. For information, take a look here, that's where most of my choices came from;

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 £139
    CPU Cooler: Titan Fenrir £37, there are better prices elsewhere - Also be aware that on small-form-factor motherboards like the UD2, this can obstruct taller-than-standard-height memory, so watch your clearances. It's the best, though.
    TIM: Arctic Silver 5 £6
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 £82
    RAM: Geil 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3 CL9 £85 - Any 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 will do, especially if you can find it at a better price. Make sure it's standard height, like this stuff, if you're going to use the Fenrir.
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB £38; 1TB's also good though about £60.
    GPU: ATI 5770 £126 / 5850 £216 - BitTech recommend the 5770 as appropriate to this price point, but if you're a gamer the 5850 is a more powerful 'card.
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W £55
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7240S-0B £18
    Chassis: Antec Three Hundred £43

Total: £629 with the 5770, or £719 with the 5850. The latter leaves you £181 for your monitor, which is pretty reasonable since as a gamer you'll want a cheaper TN panel for response times rather than a pricier IPS panel for clarity. Mine's a better graphics card than the build above and has a much more expensive cooler, but obviously doesn't include the OS - there are numerous ways to get this cheaper or free, so check around and let us know if you can get W7x64 from work/uni/friends etc etc. If you can't get it for a better price, you should still be able to come under £900 with any combination of a cheaper monitor, slower RAM, or a 5830 instead of the all-conquering 5850. Also, the prices supplied are mostly from Scan because it's easy to search; if you hunt around you may be able to find cheaper components.

[EDIT]I forgot to add that BitTech doesn't do monitor recommendations anymore, which is why I haven't suggested one, but I'm sure the others will be able to help.[/EDIT]

Last edited: 5 Feb 2010
  10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

All I can say is be patient and don't rush.

11. jon1984

jon1984 What's a Dremel?

Looks like a pretty decent spec, thanks for the help. Will wait a few weeks to hear about the 5830 but just tempted by a 5850. Can alway hold out for a monitor until Summer as can hook it up to my 32" HDTV :D

Can prob get Win7 from a mate for £70 as he bought one too many copies at launch. Would you suggest retail or OEM hardware/software? I agree Kovoet, been looking for a PC for a couple of months and want to get it right :rock:

12. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Regarding the OS, you should be able to beat him down to less than that, you can get it new off Amazon for £75. It doesn't matter whether it's OEM or Retail because in new-build cases the only difference is the ability to sell it on when everyone upgrades, which in my experience is a rubbish market anyway. Get whichever is substantially cheaper.

I'd get the 5850, personally. You're a gamer, so spend more on the gaming abilities of the computer. £719 for a 750 with the best cooler around and a 5850 is a recipe for seriously good overclocking and gaming, and if you can beat your mate down to £61 for Windows 7 you'll have £120 left over - and by the summer you should be able to save the extra cash to turn that into a good Full HD monitor.

Good luck! :thumb: