1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What would you do? X79 or Z170?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheMadDutchDude, 11 Jun 2016.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Hey guys,

I'm still having a debate with myself regarding this one.

The setup that I am contemplating changing around is my X79 rig that is listed below. I recently got an ASUS Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 which I am allowed to keep (thanks, ASUS!!) which made me ponder whether or not it is worth having 8c/16t locked at 3 GHz over an unlocked 6700K.

I already have all of the hardware to make both of the rigs possible, either or, but I am so undecided on what to use.

I'm currently thinking of moving over to the 6700K due to the newer technologies (native NVMe for a start!) and the fact that 4c/8t at 4.5 GHz would probably win out in 99% of games in today's age.

The rig will be used for games, some very light photo editing (for review purposes) and occasional video rendering (when I actually start making product overview videos). For the latter, I know the 8 core will be best, but it won't be happening all that often, and I will soon be out of work due to my visa restrictions when I (hopefully) get granted my visa to go to the USA in a few months time.

Please, help me decide. I'm going mad here!!

2. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Would have to be the 6700K for me. The clockspeed combined with the extra ipc of the newer chip should make it faster in most applications. Also the updated chipset and features for me make it a no brainer.

3. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Ok course if you want to donate it to me i will begrudgingly take it off your hands :D

4. rollo

rollo Modder

For games its not even a fair fight. The 6700k dominates hard even at stock speeds. at 4.8ghz the gap widens still when benching the cpu performance.

In the real world theres little between either chip.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That's my thinking as well. The increased clock speed and IPC gains would make it a much better choice for games. I guess a new pump isn't the only thing entering my rig in the coming weeks. :D

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, guys. :)