1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding which dremel to buy?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TekMonkey, 22 Nov 2003.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I got a Dremel model 398 variable speed (5000-33000 rpm) electronic control (the one with the pimpin' little LCD screen). It is built like a brick, has loads of power and so far has proved indestructible. A flexible drive shaft is definitely the next essential purchase. :dremel:

2. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

The Jigsaw/dremel argument has been had out in many a thread guys, and its irrelevent most of the time. What your running into is people who desire 1 tool to do multiple jobs. And, ironicly, the dremel MULTIpro rotary tool is designed to do MULTIple jobs, so If I am looking for one tool to do many different jobs, a jigsaw just won't cut it. So yea, one person should probably bring up the fact that a jigsaw is the best for big windows, but after that, lets answer the guys question, not try to preach to him about tool selection. (and no, MULTIpro doesn't mean multispeed, my multipro is single speed)
    thats my 2 cents, and I am often wrong, but hey

3. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

don't know if you still need the input, but I have a Sears Craftsman "Variable Speed Multi-Tool." The Craftsman name is nice, because they have an unlimited lifetime warranty. It was pretty cheap, even for the attachments ( i have the flexshaft, the router base, and the sanding table(rotary sander))

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Well Christmas is coming up soon, so I might ask my parents for a jig saw. Also I need a nice new set of files :D .

5. GeekwithGuns

GeekwithGuns What's a Dremel?

Congrats on your purchase!!, sounds like a bargain!
    Yes a dremel can do this, if it has the fibre cutting disc use this one it will last a lot longer than the normal cutting discs. BTW deffinately hint for a jigsaw for xmas by all means and a soldering iron and a drill and a holesaw kit and a multimeter and a powerfile ..............more tools the better ohh ohh ohhh!!!!
    P.S.
    Mr Shake
    I do agree with you on the fact the Dremel is designed to do multiple jobs, however my argument was intended for TekMonkey to use a tool that would make it more easy for him, esp with limited knowledge of tools, I dont disagree that you can infact use a dremel to cut a window, but it is easier for a novice to use a jigsaw.

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

yeppers, i'll hint like crazy :lol:

I already have a soldering iron....tho I could use a new one. I accidentily left mine plugged in and its all burnt looking now :blush: :D

7. iStormy

iStormy What's a Dremel?

Keep in mind that the lifetime warranty only applies to hand tools: screwdrivers, hammers, and the like. It does not apply to power tools.

The closest you can get is a 1-year extended warranty on the Craftsman Rotary Tool for $7.48.

8. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

all soldering irons look like that after some use i think