1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 editions revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Why do they punish people trying to get their system working? Everyone I know that purchased Windows XP has Professional, only people who bought a new PC had Home (and even then it was a struggle to get it to work appropriately). Why is Ultimate "limited availability" that makes no sense!

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot not having wide availability for the Ultimate edition. And having two professional editions is just silly.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'll be hitting up Ultimate.

I'd decided that before they announced this listing.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what's the point? just give us Premium for home use and Enterprise for large business, job done.

6. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

So... which of these versions will be for netbooks? Home Basic?

7. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

Seriously?! I am currently trying 7Beta and actually enjoying it very much, why oh why for the love of anyone's God did they have to continue with the ridiculous amount of different versions. My suggestion, do three versions tops.

- Premium for home users, you get the basic described in Home Premium.

- Professional for "advanced" home users, Ultimate but with a better name.

- Enterprise for company's who need a volume license agreement. Enterprise and Professional not having any other differences than the license agreement. One tailored towards businesses and the other to home users.

And for crying out loud DON'T make any of those version "limited availability". If I want the most expensive version of Windows, it should be my god damn right as a consumer to choose to do so. You hear me (and the rest of Bit-tech/the World) Microsoft?

8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

If they don't go back on this I'm going to stick to OSX games and consoles - grats MS.

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

MSDN Cheesecake im going to get all of them

10. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

This sounds like building a PC. If you choose a vendor, there's always something wrong with the configuration - slow memory, bad HD, wrong number of cores or a case that's pants. Solution: Buy the perfect components and do it yourself!

Now they make Win7 just like that: Starter limits to 3 apps, Basic lacks Aero, touch, and gaming/media capabilities, Premium lacks "presentation mode", Professional doesn't have BitLocker, Enterprise can only be bought in multiple-license packages and Ultimate will be a rip-off. Is the solution Linux?!

11. Muffin13

Muffin13 What's a Dremel?

Dear Bit-Tech...

I didn’t think you were that stupid, but its true you do learn something every day
    I am going to type what so many other people have written forums (I hope you get it?)

Starter- OEM Only probably for LOW end PCs
    Basic-Developing Markets… they had this for XP, Read 3rd world countries
    Home Premium-OEM and Retail, most ppl will get this one
    Professional-OEM and Retail, Business and expert users
    Enterprise-Volume licensing only, Businesses…
    Ultimate-Limited OEM and Retail, pro users who want everything

Now… what you will see in most shops for consumers is:

- Home Premium
    - Professional
    -Ultimate

Can you pick the one you want… I mean the options are HUGE you may even go INSANE

12. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The system backup feature in Vista is gimped in anything other than Ultimate/Business :(

13. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

This is just Microsoft being Microsoft, nothing new there then?

The lifetime sales figures for Vista would be nice to look at in a chart, I wonder how many suckers had actual retail purchase's (not new PC's), who bought BASIC. And did not try to get a refund.

I am disgusted that even Microsoft themselves look down on Vista like it's a lepper in a playground near their kids. Maybe there should be a damn good trade-in offer for Windows 7, I am certain there will be a fancy upgrade program in place.

14. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

That's as crazy as Balmer himself. It could have been as simple as XP Home/Profesional. My workmates will have tough time explaining differences between #7 editions to noob customers :)

15. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you fail to realise that there is also Windows Vista Enterprise edition, which the win7 Enterprise edition replaces. It's not a new version; we just hear very little about it (yes i know about Vista business, in fact i run it on my desktop - Vista Enterprise is different)

Really when you get down to it it's a choice between Home Premium and Professional. Who at home honestly needs the enterprise features that Ultimate adds? A very small proportion of users, that's who - and they'll still be able to get it. That's the point - the average consumer SHOULDN'T know about that version!

16. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

FFS, Win7 was looking so good, then they go and shoot themselves in the foot with all these pointless options again.

There are 2 main things that bother me about these particular options:

Ultimate being limited release -- That's just utterly stupid. Why oh why do they think that's a good idea? Are they just trying to rip off enthusiasts with over inflated prices?

Enterprise being volume license only -- So if I understand this, I won't be able to by this with a new PC as OEM? That screws me over for at work. We only get Windows when we buy a new PC as many of our users already have MSDN licenses and it's not worth buying a volume licence for the hand full of people left. So I'm being forced to get Pro when I want Enterprise, what a complete joke!

Please Microsoft do the following:

Ditch Starter and Basic, they're both pointless, especially Starter. If people's PC's can't handle Aero, they can turn it off.
    Keep Premium, this is what most people will want. Make it available as retail and OEM.
    Keep Ultimate and make it available properly as retail and OEM. Make it slightly more expensive than Premium.
    Ditch Professional, it's pointless.
    Keep Enterprise but make it available as OEM and Volume License. All business' will then be able to use the same version making everyone's life easier.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't know really, that's kind of the problem with all these SKUs and poor descriptions of what the actual differences are.

18. Muffin13

Muffin13 What's a Dremel?

If you're confused about the options available, that makes two of us – hopefully Microsoft will be releasing a better breakdown closer to release. Better yet, they could ditch the whole concept and go back to Windows XP era licensing - “Homeâ€￾ and “Professional.â€￾

You mean

-Home
    -Profesional
    -Media Center

19. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I dont see a problem with these additions. MS will only market Home/Pro/Ent in the west. If Pro can join a domain, I dont see why you need to bother with Ent ed.

Kimbie

20. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i dont understand people bashing the many options... what most users need to know are 2 version: home premium or home professional. u either use it at home, or at work.

if a consumer have the knowledge to get more features, then they should have no problems understanding the other versions.

sure, its probably bad marketing, M$ shouldve just focus their market on the 2 versions but let the techies know there ARE available 4 other versions, that should be good. instead of the going up front "hey! we have 6 versions!! whippitydo!"

Tags: Add Tags