1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Windows 8: Performance Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Oct 2012.

1. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Just installed this on my HTPC and HATE the metro crap, and even when you get to the desktop there is no start button ! what a POS. Managed to find a program called ViStart which makes it more normal. This will definitely not be going on my main rig.

2. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Upgraded late last night to get it all set up for today. I kinda like working through all the bugs and finding ways around things, glutton for punishment I guess. I have been using the Win8 under VM but I just find that I don't get to find 100% of problems/features that way untill I force myself to use it full time.

I did find I 'missed' the start bar and hit the first icon a few times as matter of habit. I am getting used to it though and agree with mpe91, it's much the same, hit win key and type.

Some apps don't scale well atm (mail) and barely fill 2/3's of my screen @ 2560x1440. I'm sure this can be fixed though with some re-coding.

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Talking of making things faster have/will BT being doing a piece on accelorater type ssd's?

More on topic ...as I've said before and as someone has said above... Win7 is the new XP.

4. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

Probably not the most scientific but a clean install of windows 8 on the identical ssd versus my trusty well used gaming rig install of windows 7 and i repeat windows 8 doesnt boot faster

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if you cant find the shutdown button, create a shortcut on your desktop

right click blank area of desktop, select new, shortcut

in the type the location of the item, type shutdown -s

then call it shutdown

you can do the same for restart as well replacing the -s with -r

oh and these can be pinned to the start screen as well

6. Phoenixlight

Phoenixlight What's a Dremel?

Please do another review with the AMD FX-8350 as well because the new scheduler in WIndows 8 is supposed to improve performance.

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

bwahahahahahaha, has microsoft brought out something that made ppl even consider, implementing and posting a way to create a shutdown shortcut??? hahahaha have never ever thought of this. great idea!!!

ahhh microsoft... are u listening to what u made ppl do with ur new "easier" OS

8. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Off topic question : What happened to Unicorn? :hehe:

9. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

ha!! still waiting to be caught!

10. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

My personal two pence on Windows 8:

I will not be using it. I have no desire to use Windows of any version unless absolutely necessary and I have no hesitation in stating my belief that Windows 8 will be another Vista for Microsoft. They have missed the boat by a number of years for the tablet market, they're outclassed by iOS and Android.

On the desktop, Microsoft are trying to push an OS that has no place in today's market, where the majority of users are still using the 'traditional' non-touch interfaces of a mouse and keyboard. They're trying to push an OS that requires people to buy new hardware, which in today's financial conditions is extremely difficult. I know people that still have Core2Duo laptops. Why? Because they work, and most people don't see the need to fix what isn't broken.

Ultimately I refuse to use an OS that I don't need to use. I didn't buy Mountain Lion because I wasn't going to use half of the features, and I'm not going to buy Windows 8 for the same reason - it's a pointless upgrade.

11. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Will be upgrading my Sony Netbook when the Win8 CP runs out as it is far superior to the POS that Win 7 starter is.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Don't think I'll move over to 8 just yet, but man, pausing file transfers and native iso support is pretty nice. I would have liked to see more interesting features from the OS.

13. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Anyone else having problems with ordering online via MS shop, DLing the app, entering address and being told incorrect postcode format? I have tried both Swedish and UK address. Same problem on both.

14. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Yes I have because my credit card is registered in the UK but i'm in France just now, the answer for me was to pay with paypal.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The only thing that I can say is good with Windows 8 is the price point. £25 for a digital download retail version is fantastic when you consider what Windows 7 Pro costed me.

Although there's a lot of bad being said about the OS, at such a price, I'm very tempted to try Windows 8 and see what it brings to the table. I don't game half as much as I used to and certainly don't have that many programs, I think getting used to the interface could be quite interesting and relatively fun. For £25, why the hell not?

Considering that I'm also simplifying my system to just a single SSD and ditching mass storage, I have a weird gut feeling that Windows 8 could be the basics of a great, simple system. I don't know why, but damn, I'm willing to try it!

Does this mean I'm making my computer into a giant tablet? No, that would be silly, I've too much love for mechanical keyboards to do that, but bearing in mind how basic my system uses have become, I feel that Windows 8 could make an interesting all round use system. I actually do like the look of the new menus and UI. I feel I could get used to it with a mouse and keyboard, and would have a fair bit of fun doing so.

PS: I won't be going to the launch event at Scan tomorrow.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2012
  16. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

On my laptop (E-450) Windows 8 is about 15% faster than 7 across the board, just in case anybody is worried it'll be Vista MK II on a low-powered machine. It's fast.

17. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I actually compared Win 8 to the latest Ubuntu on my laptop last week, trying to decide whether it was worth the 25 quid. Ubuntu is dog slow in comparison. I kept searching the desktop because I tried to type before it had finished loading the dash. Fail.

18. bOO9000

bOO9000 What's a Dremel?

Been running the 90 day trial for a couple of months, it's ok - workable.

Annoying having to override file associations for apps like winamp.

Can only imagine how good it could be without the metro nonsense with innovations spent in other areas.

Someone should setup a voting website "Bring back the Start Menu"

19. bOO9000

bOO9000 What's a Dremel?

OOPS sorry for multiple posts, was just trying to edit the original message.

OMG How Embarrassing : - (

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Why do you need a desktop on an HTPC?

Tags: Add Tags