1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress X99 mITX NCASE M1 - Project MiniValidus

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by d33g33, 2 Mar 2015.

1. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

[​IMG]
    Height from the contact points of the RAM to the top of the heatspreader is about 42.5mm.

[​IMG]
    Height from the motherboard PCB to the top of the heatspreader when inserted is 46mm.

2. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

You guys are awesome. :)

Sounds like they'll fit in the A4-SFX, so I've got some on the way now!

Last edited: 16 Dec 2015
  3. d33g33

d33g33 What's a Dremel?

Excellent vendor support
    :thumb:

4. d33g33

d33g33 What's a Dremel?

Not much of an update but...

Here we have 2 acrylic tubes and 1 PETG tube. You can tell the difference between PETG and Acrylic, the PETG looks much cloudier to my eyes but people say its a lot easier to work with...

[​IMG]

Notice anything?

How about now?
    [​IMG]

HOW ABOUT NOW!?
    [​IMG]

I was worred the UV would have that bluish tinge through it that you see sometimes but in all honesty, you can't tell at all unless you're looking at a cut edge the natural UV gives it a slight hue.

Should look great with my UV Mayhems.

5. dotdrew

dotdrew What's a Dremel?

Wow this build is incredible, I've got an NCASE M1 sat around waiting for my next build and was intending on using a Kelvin S24 too, although I don't think my build is going to be anywhere near is intense as yours haha.

Look forward to seeing more!

6. d33g33

d33g33 What's a Dremel?

Well well well... what happened?

Essentially I couldnt get all the pieces to fit the way I wanted, it was crowded and it was dirty and after everything, I still wouldnt have been able to get the side panel back on because of my choice in the Strix 980 GPU so, out it all came.

So all the watercooling was pulled as discussed, I ordered a NH-C14, asked Noctua for a slim ILM mount and after being berated about how they don't support it with this cooler, sent it anyway.

When it arrived the box for the cooler, was almost as big as my case itself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It sure didnt look like it was going to fit but i'd seen examples of this cooler, in this case, on this board so it had to...

...ta-da!!!!!!! what a bitch that was.
    [​IMG]

Building a super small x99 build was a great concept when I thought of it but this build has been an effort every step of the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the sucker, the GPU power sticks out like a sore thumb,. but cast your eyes lower and you see the heat pipe which was the only thing stopping me getting the side panel back on this case.
    [​IMG]

Because of it's non reference nature it also meant even switching it to water, no matter which variation of the waterblock I used, i'd never get the side panel back on.

And final glam, really dig this photo.
    [​IMG]

Whats next? Well, the 980 STRIX has been sold, for maximum return until Pascal releases. Then it will be something reference and the side panel will go on. And i'll love.

The C14 does a great job, super quiet and running a 4.2ghz OC with peak temps of 65degrees C.

I have 2 more builds that I need to start, I learnt a lot from this build and while I can't say it was a success, it wasn't a failure to me either.

I hope you enjoyed this build. Some more photo's with new GPU and lighting to come

7. mariusdahl

mariusdahl What's a Dremel?

Hey d33g33,

I have a, somewhat, similar build to yours. I'm having trouble with noise though.

x99e-ITX
    970 Strix
    H100i

Would swapping the CLC for an air-cooling be the right place to lay my focus? It has stock Corsair SP120. I'm a bit worried for the 140W CPU with air. But maybe the "C14" or the "U9DX i4" would do a nicer job, with less noise?

(Usually I have 2x NB-eLoop12 under the GPU, and never have the 970 turn on it's own)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have a similar setup (see sig).

My CPU (at 4.3Ghz) runs at a balmy 68C. However, my GPU does max out in some games (ie: hits 80C at which point it starts throttling).

I have a Gigabyte card at the moment, and like you have fans sucking air into the bottom and onto the GPU.

Your CPU temps are fine really.

9. mariusdahl

My 5820K is running around 50C idle, under an H100i now... Do I have a bad chip, bad CLC or otherwise?

Having just Steam open, with no other programs, it hits 20% and hovers around 55-60C...

10. Parge

Hmm. Can't recall my Idle temps. Will check for you tonight.

11. mariusdahl

d33g33,

How on earth did you fit the C14 onto that board? I know I can use the XFB4 Noctua bracket, but so many people are having trouble with the 140mm bottom fan (closest to the board). How did you make it fit?

EDIT (Sorry for spam everyone):

Noctua has agreed to sent me all the nessesary brackets for free, but I've run into an issue. The NH-C14 can't be found anywhere, only the successor C14S. The new C14S will only take a fan under (closest to the board) the heatsink, and I don't believe the NCASE would take a 140mm there.

Should I really just go with the U9DX i4?

Last edited: 31 May 2016
  12. Parge

See below for my idle temps.

Looks like you have an issue. Could be a poor mounting or not enough power to the pump?

[​IMG]

13. mariusdahl

Thank you for doing this Parge. It's the H100i contact between the surface of the pump and the CPU. I have to find a viable way, to tighten it down. We can agree, that a H100i with eLoop B12-2 can cool a 5820K, right?

It also appears, that fans driven into the pump for power, have a habit of generating more noise, on the H100i... Sadly :wallbash:

14. mariusdahl

I found a way to clamp the CLC onto the CPU. Now I achieve 29C Idle, and 52C full load, with a very silent system. Wuhu!

15. Parge

Good stuff.

Question though - were the normal mounting brackets not working?