1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 6 Jan 2012.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

To the best of my knowledge, there is no Invasion of their home world with your interceptors...

I was just making an analogy about the number I posses and why. :)

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

ZiiP is still selling X-COM with the pre-order bonuses. Not sure if they are available in retail copies. The game activates on steam, so no issues there.

http://www.ziip.co.uk/action/747-xcom-enemy-unknown-cd-key-5026555052818.html

€20 cheaper too! I really don't get how Steam can charge such insane prices for titles. For €30 I got the code emailed to me for pre-loading and the boxed copy arrived in the post on monday morning. €50 on Steam.... eh, no.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i'd take you up on that if i had the coin i really would :(

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

If I had the coin as such, I would spot you, but I have €80 worth of bills this week :(

The Gamestore isn't disappearing though ;)

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nope but im guessing that pre order bonus will, first game ive played since anno where ive wanted everything that comes with it.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

No, all the copies of the game that they have in stock have the Pre-order DLC as part of it.
    If you want, I can ask Jes to see if he could hold a copy for you?

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I saw a dude on Kotaku who's team member was called deadbolt and I thought that was you!

So far the only one I've gotten attached to is a dude with a high top hair cut who I've called Duke Nukem.....

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

hey that'd be sweet.

9. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

fair enough :)

Someone mentioned spaceship earlier so i didnt know if it was a throwback to old xcom or a spoiler :S

10. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I'm loving this right now.

It's so well put together, the tutorial lacks a little something, but looking forward to throwing more hours into this one.

11. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

It is freakishly addictive. Just.... one.... more... turn.... @.@ .... I say to myself, at 4am.

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I think i will start a new game, the lack of coverage is doing my box in, i think i should have developed that more sooner.

Gonna crank up difficulty as well, its not the same as the classic on normal!

Ill give iron man a miss at the moment tho!

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Gunny, Jester said that he would put a copy aside for you for a week or two until you can cover it. That work?

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thats fine, we talking just code or an actual box type thing?

15. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

You dont get Eng/sci or money from sat's until the council meeting, its not a cumulative thing. And as I said, the only thing is increasing UFO detection chance, however extra interceptors and there improvements take a back seat to squad upgrades. At least at the start, mid-late game tho it dosnt matter much just make sure you can take down the bigger stuff.

And how do you get money for 2 interceptors for each continent at the start when your rushing sats and carapace?

Are you playing classic or normal? Cause you cant afford that on Classic, and if you can afford it,
    The first terror mission will eat you up with Crysalids one shoting you, because you dont have carapace armour and then you must have the OTS for expanded squad upgrades, which arnt cheap. I think you must have robbed a bank being able to afford all that.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    On the original games we could produce materials and then sell them at a profit. Is this implemented?

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I think I am going to have to start again. Right at the start a message came up saying I should buy Interceptors so I bought two for each region - ever since then I have been crippled. I eventually saved enough to buy 1 more satellite but then found it takes 20 days to make the things! I seem to be getting a mission to do every single day at the moment and it's proving to be a real drag getting the money up. Selling on the grey market doesn't seem an option as you get sod all for your stuff!

Also I just got my first terror mission and due to injuries I can only field rookies!!

I am sure I should be enjoying the game more than I am. If I can overlook the simplified AI and the fact that the 'to hit' stats mean nothing I am sure a second run through might prove more fruitful!

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Not really. You can only sell alien artifacts you have recovered during missions. You can not sell of weapons or anything you have manufactured. You will occasionally get a request from a country for weapons or equipment which generates a profit.

I don't get your issue with the to hit percentage as it's not something I have noticed as an issue. If you keep reloading to try the same shot you always get the same result unless you move another squad member than it seems to recalcuate the odds.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Another disappointement. :blah:

In the original games we were in charge of a small organization tasked to defend the world of aliens and we were responsable to make it a global organization, with bases spread around the world. The more I read on this game the more I think this has been oversimplified. One base, tiny teams, infinite ammo, limited equipmet selection, ...
    Will get it at a discount, I feel it lacks depth.

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah I realise the provision of Engineers, Scientists and Money is monthly, but the cumulative effect I mentioned is the impact of getting coverage early, the sooner you do it, the sooner you benefit from it. You have to excavate x2 base tiles, one for power, one for a satellite uplink, then you need to build the satellites, which in the early-mid game (dependant on number of workshops I think) takes at least 20 days. If you can build all that at the start of the month, and it is completed and active by the time you get to the council report at the end of the month, you will get the associated income and personnel at the end of that month when the council report occurs. Which is why I think waiting is a bad idea. I have got the steam achievements for 80 engineers and 80 scientists.

In your opinion extra interceptors take a back seat, but not in mine. I have 1.5 pages or losses on the memorial wall, so my troops take it hard, as I was a little slower initially to develop the better weapons. I got a lot of extra resources from all those shot down UFOs, including a lot of damaged UFO materials that are of no research benefit but can be sold for a tidy profit. Damaged UFO power sources and navigations computers sell for a good amount.

As for How I managed to have so many interceptors early to mid game, if you start your base in America the cost of buying and maintaining interceptors if halved. Very useful, combined with my early sat coverage, my income was good, the cumulative effect of which builds up nicely overtime, to the point where now (near the end game) I am getting over 2000 a month gross. I never said I got it all in the first turn... but earlier than some of you for sure.

In order to buy/build weapons and upgrades you need weapon fragments, ellerium, armour fragments and components. The best way to get those of from UFO crash sites or landings, which I got a lot of because I had good global coverage and a lot of interceptors!

My friend played and had a very different experiences, he lost a lot less troops, his men where better equipped earlier but he lost some countries (withdrew from the council) and had generally higher panic levels, including some pips on the doom meter. I also think his research was generally faster because of the continent bonus he had for having his base in Europe (faster/instant interrogations or faster research maybe?). Both of us were playing on normal difficulty.

No banks robbed, just a different experiences/play style.