1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware XFX Radeon HD 5870 Black Edition Graphics Card Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

feh... what is the point of these OC cards with that price premium when its OCed so little

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Those temperatures are awesome...makes me want to go watercooling.

I got to say though, the overclocking sucks.

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Just show's how good a standard 5870 card actually is to be honest.

5. binary101

binary101 What's a Dremel?

"XFX claiming Black Edition cards to be its ‘Family Jewels’ - a marketing claim that made us slightly hesitant when it came to opening the box. Fortunately, the box contained no genitalia but it did house a graphics card."

I Loled.

6. bw67958

bw67958 What's a Dremel?

Accordign to Scan its £399 inc vat which doesn't make it that great when you can get a gtx480 for a bit less!

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Disappointing.

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

any one noticed what driver version was used in this review for Nvidia. 256 drivers are 5-15% faster (more so in bad company) WHQL is now out now, When the review was made most likely did not have WHQL drivers but Bad company 2 really needs the 256 drivers beta or not, as map load time sucks with 197 game is a lot more stable as well and less jumpy

9. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

Or you can just buy a reference 5850 that can OC to 5870 performance with a small voltage tweak. anyhooo

this review is alright at best, very informative but you missed out 1 crucial element in the review & thats OVERCLOCKING - obviously the card is already pre-overclocked but i thought you guys would have tried to see if it could clock any further to validate XFX's claims that these Cypress XT chips are the best of the best of the best.

good review - but its lacking

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Lockon S. ...They did;

"XFX claims to allow some overclocking headroom in its Black Edition cards, so we cracked out AMD Clock Tool and managed to raise the GPU speed by 30MHz, which gave a minor boost to our benchmark results. We tried to fiddle with the memory too, but any increase above the standard 1.3GHz of the card resulted in artefacts even on the Windows desktop. "

Don't you get the feeling that bar a few custom coolers Ati and their partners are done with this gen of cards?

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Funny that in the conclusion of that article it says:
    Soo. what happened since then? Driver Update?

Conclusion, the cooler and quieter VaporX is still the way to go as far as 5870's are concerned?

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Meh I will stick with my Asus HD5870 VT @ 1000/5200.

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I second this. Last time I checked the GX480 was far from being the undisputed single card performance leader. If anything it's a tie.

14. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

oh dear! are the ATi fan brigade getting worried over a few fps points lost to the fermi?

Read the conclusion again as Bit-Tech clearly recommend picking up the standard 5870. As a willy waving contest yes, the GTX480 just and only just pips in the single card range but at a large cost to heat, noise and power. Until that is sorted, I'm holding off my next Nvidia purchase.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the board design looks cheap, looks like analogue power circuit rather than reference 5870's digital. (?)

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I was wondering how much power (idle) the cards consume when areo is not enabled. For modern graphics card to make this much wattage when doing nothing but some 2D and added 3D. (areo)

Why don't the GPU chip makers not implement some energy saving measures. Like for example run at half speed, disable 70% of calculation cores etc. Or switch to onboard GPU and shutdown pci-e GPU when not in use.

17. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

So what would you recommend as the best 5870 card for speed, quietness and price?

Asus, XFX, Powercolour?

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Just get stock and watercool. Personally I don't see the point in shopping around for an OC version. If you buy a decent brand up front whether it be eVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS, XFX (or any other respectable brand) they basically perform on par (assuming they all have the same memory and board design). Yeah some manufacturers throw in better air coolers but for the extra cost for the card you can get their identical stock offering and watercool for less with half the heat and none of the noise.

19. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

All modern graphics cards clock themselves down when idle - the last bit sounds like Nvidia's Optimus (search the site) so they're working on that too.

All sound like good bets, yes. The reference cooler for a HD 5870 is pretty good, and everyone has at least reference-cooler model in their range, so choose your favourite manufacturer/retailer or look out for special deals and bundles.

20. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Read The Article again.

:duh:

Tags: Add Tags