1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp not finding xp boot cd

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by surtur, 26 Feb 2008.

1. surtur

surtur What's a Dremel?

ok so i have an acidemic xp professional cd and i'm trying to install it on my newly built pc. it enters windows setup just fine and i agree to the licensing stuff, it states that it cannot find a previous version of windows on my hardrive, so it asks for me to load the cd, it's in there and i press enter. it then tells me that "setup could not read the cd you inserted, or the cd is not a valid windows cd". whats wrong?

2. surtur

surtur What's a Dremel?

ok well i've tried a couple more things incase anyone is interested. It seems like it's trying to verify the cd. It's a full hologram disc and it's not an update. my dvd/cd drive has power and spins, it also reads the cd some or else i couldn't get as far into the set up as i have. but still to make sure i switched it out with a cd drive from an older computer that i know works. nothing same problem. there was one tiny barely noticeable scratch so i thought maybe that was the culprit. so to find out if there were any damaged sectors on the disc I tried to make an exact copy of it. the copying process went without a hitch. This tells me the cd's information isn't corrupt from scratches. But still i tried my newly made copy and i still have the same problem. I am completely and entirely stumped. I have no idea what the cause of this is.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you have to make sure your computer is set to boot from CD in the BIOS setup, also you have to 'press any key to boot from CD' at that screen.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

It sounds like you have an upgrade copy - you'll need a Win98 or Win2K CD to insert when it asks you.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Wot he said. 98SE and ME qualify too, not 95 AFAIK.

You don't have to own the qualifier CD. ;)

6. Fod

also, AFAIK you can't get academic licenced upgrades.

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

8. Fod

oh, stand corrected. ah well.

9. surtur

surtur What's a Dremel?

well upgrade cd's should say upgrade or update on them right. mine doesn't so i'm assuming its a full version.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

"Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the blink again."
    -- Marvin The Paranoid Android