1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Yahoo! rejects Microsoft offer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ouch, that will be some blow to MS, and i bet Google are rolling around in joy. $60billion is some figure, would it be worth MS's trouble if its that amount?

Sam

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Nice to see that Yahoo isnt going to roll over becuase its MS. Now, are MS going to play ball?

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

If i would be MS, i would say: Well... then i will pass. bye.

That would be really awesome to do, because then yahoo shares drop like a melting iceberg...
    But then Google will probably buy them for 1/3 of the MS price.

5. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Is this a suicide attempt from Yahoo? They really need to get a grip. Personally, it doesn't really bother me (I mean it would be nice to got Google some competition but I don't know if I would want it to be from Microsoft) but from Yahoo's perspective this is just ridiculous.

6. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Yahoo dont really want to sell. But if they are forced to sell, then they will extract the highest possible price from MS. A shame really.. that greed is driving this deal, and not the merit of whether it makes strategic sense.

By delaying like this, the yahoo senior board members will be hoping to make even more money from any such deal. Of course it could all backfire on yahoo as well.... such is the nature of the risk.

I didnt even think yahoo was valued anywhere near the original MS bid, which was already 62% over and above what they market thought yahoo was actually worth.

I also read that google only has about 6Billion in cash going spare, so a google buyout would need to be heavily share based rather than the 23Billion cash offer from MS.

My view is that MS is over paying... just like Ebay did with Skype, and AMD did with ATI etc etc.

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

If MS pay that much for Yahoo then they're idiots - it's not worth anything like that much money.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yahoo! has issued a statement... story has been updated to reflect this.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Google must be wetting their pants with laughter over this...

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

nope, they are just trying to jack up the price..... like 40 something billions (~60% over current share value) woudnt be enough, greedy *******s.

11. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Notice that they're dickering about price, not about whether or not they want to sell... I'm guessing this is going to go through, it's just a matter of who's going to give in on price first.

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

But it didn't "overvalue" their brand until the share price went through the roof on the back of rumours about an MS takeover. The original offer was a 60% premium on the current share price. I'm sure MS will be happy to wait until the share price sinks again.

13. Major

Major Guest

So how owns the majority of Yahoo then?

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

so that means that instead of yahoo taking their offer, M$ just has to sit back and start buying up yahoo shares until they become majority owner and then yahoo loses out big time.

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

M$ will suck up share of yahoo

Yahoo should have taken the deal

16. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

I will laugh out Loud if tomorrow or this week, something where to happen to Yahoo and made it "hit to the ground running" stock-wise.

Tags: Add Tags