1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete 【MSI PRO MOD –S5: Demonstration】Crevasse: The Mei Machine [Completed]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 15 Apr 2017.

1. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks Bill! I think blue and white has replaced burgundy for my favorite color scheme. At least till something else comes along. :)

2. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

And it continues. A little slower than planned because something went wrong between the chip and the board. Not sure what, but they don't like playing with each other so new ones are on the way and everything got pulled apart. In a way this was good because it let me go in and take care of things that I wasn't worried about but add to the finish detail. Like vinyl stickers on the backs of the fans. Not necessary, but a nice touch.

Speaking of vinyl, that's where we'll start with this update. First off, the sponsor's logos on the back panel.

[​IMG]

But that needed a little work to match the build. So I went back and frosted the edges.

[​IMG]

And then some logo replacement on fans...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on the CPU cooler. Can't wait to see this one backlit.

[​IMG]

And since this is a Mei build, I thought her ability graphics would look cool right above the motherboard.

[​IMG]

Now, I can't forget that MSI gave me a whole bunch of peripherals, so I should probably match them up too. :)

The mouse got disassembled and painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same with the keyboard and headset, although I'm not done with the headset yet.

[​IMG]

But I think they keyboard need some more changes...

[​IMG]

So I went with a set of white keycaps to match. It's nice that they use standard cherry caps.

[​IMG]

Still a bit boring so lets spice it up a bit, and since I'm in the vinyl cutting mood...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I jacked up my graphic for the blizzard ultimate so I'm cutting another for the 'Q'.

While I was working on the details for Mei, I thought it be cool to try to make a pretty iconic part of her wardrobe, her hairpin.

I had picked up some wooden dowels and random wood spheres for my last build so I went through all them and found ones that would work.

[​IMG]

I used my cordless lathe *cough, cough* and some sandpaper to taper the dowel down to more of a pin shape.

[​IMG]

There are a couple of rings on the pin and a charm, I copied those in L200 foam since it's easy to cut and work with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I drilled a hole in a couple of small wooden balls to turn them into beads and with a little fishing line...

[​IMG]

Slap on a round dowel rod end and you've got it.

[​IMG]

Next up I'll give it a few coats of Plasti-Dip to seal it up and it'll be ready for paint. And it'll be ready to figure out what I'm going to do with it, LOL! I think I'll mount it on the headset so anyone playing Mei gets to look like Mei. :)

Sponsored by:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

So, hopefully the last update before final pics, just a bunch of touch up and finishing details.

Let's start off with a decal for our SSD, even though it'll be hidden behind the GPU.

[​IMG]

And some touch up on the case. I went ahead and painted the rivets and screws that show to match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I redid a little bit of vinyl on the keyboard to make it look better.

[​IMG]

I also got Mei's hairpin painted up.

[​IMG]

And the headset.

[​IMG]

And to be the best troll you can, you really need to get into character.

[​IMG]

For another Mei touch, I wanted to do something with the tempered glass panel. One of her in game highlights is her drawing a smiley face in frost on the screen.

[​IMG]

So first off, I want to mask off the area that I don't want any paint.

[​IMG]

And then I took some sealer to lay down a base that sticks to the glass.

[​IMG]

Next is to go back with some regular white mixed with a transparent base and blend everything out. For the final product, you'll have to wait for the finals though!

Sponsored by:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

And here are the final shots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a huge thanks to the sponsors who made this build possible! Check them out and check out the MSI PRO MOD Season 5 competition!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

And a video of the finished product.