1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [09/08] Solemn Reflectance

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by akpoly, 23 Sep 2008.

1. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

There's a lot of good photos out there for this month so I thought I would join in too.

I couldn't pass this shot up. Her pose is of reflectance; she could be down, she could be blue, or should could just be thinking. In any case, its lonely.

The play of the Space Needle and her outfit lost amidst an ocean of blue (water or sky) metaphorically speaking. The top frame poses similarities with the bottom frame even though the two have completely different subjects (grass vs trees, water vs sky, human vs built).

C&C always welcomed.

[​IMG]
    Large

Addendum: I just liked the way her hat was like the top of the Space Needle, and her shirt was striped like the legs holding up the SN cap.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2008
  2. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

hm, perhaps you guys just aren't thinking this fits the theme well for this month? Or what other marks of improvement need to be made? If not for the contest, then just as a photo. I'm all up for criticism because that's the only way to improve even if it isn't nice sounding. Honesty is the best.

My design professor once told me, "Its sh*t. Just because you made it doesn't mean its good. Its like a kid. When he takes his first sh*t in the toilet, he cries mommy mommy! Look! And she will flush it down because its sh*t."

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

lol or perhaps it's only been on here 10 hours :) 5 of which, I know that *I* personally haven't been on ;)

There's some things I like about this, and some things I don't. But I've not come to a constructive way to describe either...so I'll come back to it.

You can see from many of my other replies that I have no problem calling something **** ;)

4. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

haha, true. sorry. I've been up for the past 36 hours working on a deadline. Soo... time doesn't feel right to me right now.

And I've just noticed some people get touchy when constructive criticism is given, just wanted to state if there was something wrong, say it, so long as its constructive :)

Last edited: 23 Sep 2008
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I like it. :)

It doesn't really "feel blue", but i guess it fits the theme good enough. ;)

What I do love is the similarities between the top and bottom part of the frame. Good balance and attention to details. I didn't notice at first, but after reading your text I started noticing. It's pretty similar, even down to the brown enge at the bottom of the frame, and the edge of the water.

What I don't like, though is the slightly yellow tint to the colors. the white seems white, but the blue looks green, and the green looks yellow. It makes it look a bit unnatural, and a bit too warm to be "blue"... if you know what i mean... hehe

6. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Only thing that struck me when looking earlier was that it looks heavily over-saturated. The focus seems slightly off... her hat looks somewhat soft.
    If you wanted to highlight the correspondence between the girl and the needle I think you should have upped the aperture to somewhere around 10 and then focused on something 1/3 into the distance.
    Using a long tele to draw the two (girl / tower) closer together would also have been a good way to further enhance it.
    Right now there's too much going on in the grass and everywhere for my eyes to relax on the girl/tower.
    All my own opinion of course :)

The composition works well in its own though and it's actually a rather good picture despite my criticism above. I think you've used the composition very well to make the connection between the needle and the girl and my eyes flow towards the SN because of your comp.

7. Vers

Vers ...

x2. Kill that a bit.

8. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

hm... might be my color profiles... I'll take a look at it

Aperture was at 22... so I'm assuming diffraction is the culprit on that one. And opinions matter, I don't like my own sometimes.

I'll make another pass on this in a bit. Right now, I get to go to sleep! :clap:

Tags: