1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films 2012 Movie what can you say about this?

Discussion in 'General' started by technohive, 16 Aug 2009.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

:)

Good for you, I'm pretty bored of the generic Hollywood stunts/special effects. Maybe I'm just cynical like that.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Its not so much the special effects, its the crash bang and wallop that comes with them that makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Its a little known fact that Master and Commander and Flight of the Phoenix, generally regarded as rubbish, are actually two of the best films ever. The catch is that a sub reaching down in to the subsonic range is required to truly appreciate their magnificence :D (mind you, switching off after the first 10 mins is probably still a good plan)

3. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Hollywood sure does like to cash in on end of the world theory's xD to be honest personally nothing will happen in 2012 (end of the world wise)

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

lol there is nothing like booming cannon and splintering wood to get the surround sound singing! :rock: Master and Commander is a very good film though and the scene where they go around the cape has pretty good effects too.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its a shame hollywood hates schi-fi, theres a distinct lack of decent science fiction these days.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

This.
    There are so many great sci-fi novels that just cries for a proper movie made from them. Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacks series for instance - Altered Carbon would make a great film in the right hands, as would pretty much anything written by Iain M. Banks - Excession for instance. Pretty much all books written by Alastair Reynolds would make great flicks, but of course - the chance that any attempt at making movies from them would utterly destroy the books is, perhaps, a little disturbing.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

tbh i found myself going back to the 80's and early to mid 90's for my sci-fi fix. sphere, dep star six, equilibrium, event horizon, fortress, the thirteenth floor, pitch black are just some classics :)

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, if something is going to happen in 2012, we'll have spent all our tax money on the Olympics for nothing. I'll be seriously pissed off if that's the case :p

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

ohhhhhhhh very nice ! I read the whole resume. This thing looks good !

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I actually thought Cloverfield was a damn good film. Thouroughly recommend it to anyone.

I guess disaster films are popular because you get to watch people in peril (which everyone likes), but there's no evil person to be frightened of. It's good, honest, clean fun.

I think the problem these days in Hollywood keeps making the disasters bigger and bigger. Back in the day classics such as Towering Inferno or The Posiden Adventure needed relatively small disasters to make for a great film. Now-a-days it's all end-of the world apocolpyse stuff, it gets a bit stale in the end.

12. jhanlon303

13. minkaklaus

minkaklaus What's a Dremel?

so about it

I really hope it`s not gonna be one of those films where in the end somebody saves the world.That`s would be such a shame because movie could be really good...

14. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

By the looks of the trailer there's not much saving to be done. I saw cities breaking in half (literally) as the ground comes apart.

Should be an SFX orgy :thumb:

15. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

It's no joke.

The world will end in 2012.

The Mayans knew.

It's to do with the location of one of their lager cities.

There was a ceremonial altar on one of the hills, in one of those pyramid things.

In the spring equinox, just as the sun goes down.
    A series of stars line up.
    They create a pattern and seem to follow a sequence and order.

The mayans understood this to be a based on a binary sequence.

With the aid of a space telescope, enigma machine and a pocket calculator they worked out the world would end in 2012.

16. jhanlon303

Ah , 8 months of Social Security before the world ends. I'm covered. April to December.

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Mmm sci-fi.. I'd LOVE to see The Night's Dawn Trilogy made into movies..

On topic though, I'm going to go see it, just because I want to see the world burn. :)

You forgot quantum mechanics

18. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I was going to do a big long explination, cross referencing "finger prints of the gods"

and other pseudo scientific books.

In the end I couldn't be rsd

19. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

They are also making a 2012 TV show about the few people who survive the end of the world.

20. minkaklaus

minkaklaus What's a Dremel?

I hope it`s will be the end,really do.World is become such a horrible place and would be better if it would end