1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 40th Anniversary of Video Games Today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I want that TV in that picture so that I can make it into a fish tank.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

:lol:

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

ah 40 years ago today, long live computer games!

What was everyone's first ever experience of a computer game? My father has reminisced about playing the original Pong on a black and white telly in his lounge, but for me it was the Commodore 64, and in particular Dizzy the Egg. Legendary machine the Commodore 64, even though it still loaded quicker than Half-Life 2. *titter*

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

My first experience to video games was the BBC with the clasic game "painter"

oh yeah now thats hard core :)

6. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

Amstrad CPC6128
    128k memory, and you had to program it in BASIC to do anything (even load/run a disc)

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Pfft, centipede then trying to code a skii game. Took me three weeks before I realised I hadn't saved :(

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

First game was Grannys Garden on the old BBC at school. Bloody hard, kids would race in to be the first person on it and everyone else would cluster around the 'cool' kid who shouldered his way to the keyboard. Then we moved on to Martello Towers for the same game. Bloody impossible game, I tracked down an emulated version a few years ago and I still couldn't crack the mother.

From there, punch and judy on C64, Jet Set Willy on BBC, then Rick Dangerous II and Monkey Island on Amiga A500+. After Monkey Island, the rest is history.

9. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Paganitzu is one of my first gaming memories, on a brand spanking new 486 laptop. I've still got it somewhere :clap:

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

Can't actually remember what my first game was...something on the Amstrad CPC464 no doubt...probably Harrier Attack, or Oh! Mummy.

I remember my first console though - got a NES 'action pack' (or whatever it was calledt) - x2 pads, zapper, and the Mario/Duckhunt cart. Best Christmas ever!

First PC game I played was Alley Cat ...go CGA graphics (woot!)

Thing is, even though I owned a NES as a kid, I still used to love playing on older machines. We still had the Amstrad, which got regular use, and a few friends had systems like the Atari 2600, and the Vectrex, which I thought were fantastic.

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

ah Rick Dangerous now thats a great game.

After the BBC it was Amstrad then the good old PC 286/ PC 386 / Amiga 500+/ Comadore 64 / PC 486 / Game Boy / Master System II / MegaDrive 1 / Game Gear / Lynx / Mega CD 1 / Atari Jaguar / NES / Snes / 32x / Saturn / Pentium 350/500/1Ghrz / PS1 / N64 / PS2 / Xbox / AMD 2600 / Game Cube / PSP / AMD 64 3700 / Xbox 360 / DS Lite

Next will be PS3 :)

Never did get a 3DO and I really wanted one too. I also wanted the Jag CD for some reason but never found anywhere that sold it.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the memories........ they make me feel warm and nice inside.

13. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

One of my first was Tea Shop on a BBC at school - we also wrote a bit of code and after a while, worked out how to edit the variables in Tea Shop, so that you had a limitless amount of cash.

14. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Atari ST 520...hell yeah !!
    and oh-so-many games on it !! Z-out, Venus the flytrap, Pang (THAT is hardcore), and many more...

then moved to PC, but can't remember games that really marked me. (I mean at the beggining)

15. f00dl3

f00dl3 What's a Dremel?

My first gaming experience I can remember was with a game called Grammar Gremlins on the Apple IIGS.

Currently on this drug called Lord of the Rings Online... Quite a difference in graphics.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

ZX81 & 3D Monster Maze. Aaahh, the days of inputting programs by hand, hoping all the time that you didn't wobble the 16K RAM pack, and that the tape deck was good enough to save the program.

After that, Spectrum, C64, Amiga 500, and the inevitable raft of PCs...

17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

goddamn u guys are old lol

ok just kiddin....

my first is NINTENDO!! W00T W00T for Mario and Superdeltaforce or wutever that 2D action shootemup game is called.... and then Sega.... (not Saturn) (Spiderman and Sonic ***!)... i was 9yr old and i sold my Nintendo to my buddy and with my savings i bought a Sega lol..... after that its Super-Nintendo for Xmas on grade 5 (yes, button-masher Dragon Ball Z!!!)... then straight to PC in Junior HIgh...... and the first game is Doom and some futuristic jetfighter game... wutever tat was.....

18. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Dizzy the Egg on C64. So many hours wasted (and that was just the loading times :p)

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i remember doing doom on DOS a lot, that was probably the first game i played

pong was probably a year or 2 before my time though ;)

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

They were fooking hard those old adventure games on the BBC. One such game, IIRC, was The Lost Frog, which we never managed to complete back at Primary School. Upon tracking it down via an emulator a few years back we got to the bit we couldn't get past only to discover the answer we needed was obtained via an extremely complex, rare and totally obscure mathematical model few people had even ever heard of, let alone used, and we were trying to complete this game aged 8. No wonder we struggled! Stupid thing was the game was designed for 8 year olds, it was billed as Educational Software. What kind of creepy child genius were they trying to create?

They were all stupidly hard, Granny's Garden gave me nightmares and Martello Towers was just creepy. It was full of things like:

"You enter a room, a man laughs manically at you from above.

You can go north, north east, or north north east."

What was this game designed for, psychotically insane orienteering?

Tags: Add Tags