1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 5m surge protector?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 20 Jan 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've set up my desktop computer on the dining table, with no outlet near me.
    I require a lead that is 5m long. I can't find any suitable surge protector that is longer than 2m.
    Should I daisy chain it with another power bar or find a single outlet lead?
    Currently, I'm using a 5m power bar with no surge protection.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Just plug it into an extension lead.

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Seconded

4. thetech1

thetech1 What's a Dremel?

Thirded!

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Assuming UK, daisy chaining shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't get silly with cable lengths and respect the 13A/≈3kW total limit per wall socket.

5M and longer surge protected extension leads are very common though, unless the point is that you rather work something out with buying something?

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

For some reason, I wasn't finding them before. I would prefer to buy something new than daisy chain unless necessary. I think that issue is that I wasn't seeing any from brands I recognise. Belkin are almost all 2m with one 3m. It also needs 6 plugs, which seems to be '6 gang' in the UK. They are pretty much all made by pro elec on Amazon and Connekt on eBay. None of screwfix. They don't list any specs, level of surge protection or guarantee.

I will have two surge protectors plugged into the same outlet but they won't have anything too crazy plugged in, mostly my computer and TV.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2019
  7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Masterplug are pretty reputable as far as I know, and they have a decent selection of lengths and sockets. There's something to be said for buying from well known high street retailers or supermarkets as well, as they'll probably feel a degree of liability for the products they sell, in the way Amazon for some reason doesn't :happy:

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

Argos sells one model that is 5m 6 gang. It isn't even listed on the masterplug website.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator