1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM 7/21/08 Defensive Common Yellowthroat

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Computer Gremlin, 21 Jul 2008.

1. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

This is a female common yellowthroat that is trying to drive me away from her territory. Unlike people birds express their emotions only through singing and body language. Her tail is up, wings apart and neck feathers slightly fluffed up just making a scolding "tchep!" at my camera. In a way these warblers act like winter wrens but lack the total fearlessness that makes them fun to watch.

[​IMG]

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I just can't translate emotions from a bird... It's a really good picture of the bird though.

3. Vers

Vers ...

Must have been within feet of her nest. The house wrens around here will do the same thing, only both male and female at the same time...then again there isn't anything worse than a Catbird. Talk about fearless, they will rip your eyeballs right out of your skull--no exaggeration.

4. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Your right about catbirds being aggressive, the only bird worse than them is the eastern kingbird. Unfortunately I didn't have anybody willing to get their picture taken this month and used one of my better bird photos.

5. Vers

Vers ...

I'll punch a kingbird in the face...a catbird OTOH, I will run from. A kingbird never actually darted into my neck, while TWO catbirds have.

6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

lol I think birds are very similar to people. As you said, it was scolding you with a nasty "tchep!" with raised wings!

Imagine some foreign guy sees you come near his house, so he raises his arms and screams "tchep!" I'd walk away :worried:

Awesome photo btw :thumb: and he does seem to have a pissed off look on his face!

Tags: