1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Advertisements Coming to CS1.6

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by hacker 8991, 9 Dec 2006.

1. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

Advertisements Coming to Counter-Strike 1.6

Although I believe anyone that cares about the future of Counter-Strike and all Valve supported games should read the entire article, here are few highlights:
    I find this decision utterly deplorable. Counter-Strike began as a free modification and moved on to a regularly-priced video game a few years ago. There are currently no legitimate CS players that have not already payed for their copy of the game, free of advertisements.

Some of the comments on CS-Nation's board are especially poignant:

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ouch, now THAT sucks.

Problem is, with EA and valve both going down this road, how do you stop it except to quit buying games? :sigh:

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm almost fine with that... I really haven't enjoyed a whole lot of PC games recently. As far as I'm concerned, CS:S is royally screwed up now, what with the dynamic pricing. This truly is a disgusting thing to happen to 1.6 however little I care for classic CS, and instinct tells me that there will be a LOT of whining in the Steam forums, and at least one person that makes them reconsider.

Fine, if it were to send money to the server admins. But it's not like Valve has ANY cost for servers in operation right now, beyond their server listing thing.

Normally, I'm happy to pay for games. They provide solid entertainment value and tend to be worth my money. Most games anyways - reviews are a plus. But if they feel they're going to make money off of me by advertising, don't expect me to pay in the first place. I refuse point blank to pay for games with ads in them, and WILL pirate them, full stop. Especially since I've yet to see an in-game advert that looked contextually accurate. Ubi really pissed me off with the ads in SC:CT, which was otherwise a spectacular game. And now I'm not buying Ubi games.

I suppose this is something to try to cover their losses for piracy. Or to keep earning and earning indefinitely. In either case, it's not acceptable in my eyes. If any company expects me to pay, then it better not be chock-full of ads. If they put the ads in with the expectation that it's to cover piracy losses, then pirate I will.

4. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

They might aswell announce that we're putting advertisements in AFTER you've bough the game so we can screw you up.

Valve 1 , Loyal customers 0.

5. Glue

Glue What's a Dremel?

I trust valve, while EA are a bunch of A-holes, valve uses some of it's money to help the mod community and with these ads, more money can go to mods.

"If this experiment with advertising in CS 1.6 is successful, it may turn out that we’re able to help the next round of successful mods get off the ground because of ad revenue."

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

With FireHed on this one;

If i'm going to go out and pay for a game, i DON'T want to sit there and see ads. If it's to support the online play of THEIR servers which are always up and of low ping, well admin'd etc, then maybe, but to screw individual server operators and the player? I don't know about you guys, but it'd be nice to have cracks that just remove the adverts!

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If they are done tastefully in billboard places you already see and they arent FLASHING IN YOUR FACE BUY THIS SIMILES LOLL!!1! then I dont see a problem with play. The problem is: where is the money going?? Like said: to the server admins? No. It's to the devs and valve who ALREADY CHARGE for the game. The problem is, for them, once you've bought it once you don't pay anymore.

8. koola

koola Minimodder

This is where the problem lays. Valve has NO upkeep except patching and updating the game. All the popular servers are run by private companies/individuals who are just getting screwed over here in a big big way!

I would properly tolerate the ads if I knew it was helping sustain the servers that I regularly play on, but I guess the corporate machine that is Value are just cashing in now :rolleyes:

9. 13000

13000 Banned

I'll expect there to be a patch to block the ads within the hour of it being integrated.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You don't see the problem!? Here's the problem: I paid for this game, I do not buy games with advertisements in them.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I feel very much tempted to write an expletive laden email to valve about it. This is just Valve being greedy and adopting the EA ethos of bleeding whatever you can dry.

Bunch of complete pillocks. I was actually considering buying something like EP2, now I guess my personal boycott of valve will be permanent. Think I'll go find the email address now.

Edit: In case they remove the page or whatever, contact@valvesoftware.com is the address that seems worth emailing.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So you're entitled to constant updates although you only pay for CS once back when you bought halflife? Where's the incentive for them to update it? I spose they aren't updating CS 1.6 anyway now source is out which DOES make it kind of rude.

If there are big billboards on some of the maps anyway, why difference does it make to you if they now show something relevant? or different?

EA make **** games, Valve dont. You're not paying Valve to develop more **** and nickel and dime you like EA do over and over.

Here at bit, despite the fact you get it for free we still require an amount of adverts to fund those who work here and provide you with better and better content. Valve are a decent company, unlike EA, and will hopefully use the money to employ more developers to get out the Episodes and updates faster.

Maybe Valve should say WHY they are doing it and where the money is going rather than us just assuming they are capitalist pigs wanting to roll in the green.

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Dec 2006
  12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Exactly, it's free for us though isn't it. People have paid money for 1.6 without adverts. Adverts were not part of the deal. I don't give a toss whether the EULA allows them to do this(which one can be sure it does), the point is they're fundamentally taking more money from the user after the user has already paid full price for the game. That may seem a little dramatic but by selling the users time to the advertisers they are making money from the user, which easily paralells to charging the user extra to play a game they already bought.

I know you guys at bit like Valve and it's often easy to see why, but a company should be judged by their actions, not just their enthusiasm and desire to please some of the time, and this is very low.

If a car manufacturer comes to drivers after they've bought their car and says "Look, you have to have adverts on your bonnet so that we can invest more money into the next model that other people are going to buy" would that be acceptable? Hell no! Nor can they come up to you 6 months down the line and say "Well, we need some more money for R&D, so you have to pay up". People have bought CS1.6 with their cash, they have bought it in full. They should not be forced to pay for future games that they might not want to buy, and valve should not insert adverts into any game that's already been released.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Hey, I only paid for the game twice (original plus replacement as steam wouldn't accept my CD key), and valve did put a lot of effort into making CS, it's only fair that they get to keep earning money off me.

No wait, what? This sucks :miffed:

As for updates, IMO 1.4 was the pinnacle... :eek:

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Servers are run by individuals and companies, I wonder what bit-tech and intel would think if Valve had Hexus and AMD ads running on the bit-tech/intel server.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

No need to wonder, just wait and see :p

16. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

How are they going to enforce ads on popular custom maps, like iceworld?

17. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Interesing spot. Might be Valve using dirty tactics to get people to switch to Source?

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

lol

19. Noni

Noni What's a Dremel?

I dont get the big fuss, some textures on the walls surely does not kill the game?

They are going to make a crap-load of money out of it and if anything it will probably help the game.

Hell I would do the same thing.

20. empyrean

empyrean What's a Dremel?

Billboard: Hi kid! Yes, you! You with the G3-SG1 Sniper Rifle (You had to buy the autosniper? Really? Anyway...) Our Ultra-low Latency, Integrated Scanning Technology™ has noticed your reflexes aren't quite what they should/could be. Would you be interested in a new laser mouse from Microsoft (link)? No? How about if we mess with your sensitivity until you capitulate? Oh sorry about that, you seem to have sprayed the ceiling and died. Again. And again. Want that mouse now? How about a case of Red Bull (link)? Resistance is futile.

Tags: