1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Airflow Question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ricx, 16 Mar 2004.

1. Ricx

Ricx What's a Dremel?

After installing my Aero7+ cpu cooler, I've noticed the cooling is less than steller, despite it being a whole copper heatsink and a mother of a fan. Obviously I'm not too bothered - cooling is well within safe limits, even when the fan is turned completely down and I'm gaming -but I'm wondering if I've not got optimal airflow around the case.

Currently I've got 2 Evercool 80mm fans at front of case drawing air in over my hard drives, 2 at the back pushing air out and one unconnected generic fan mounted in a window over the cpu. The fans are on a rheobus.

Pic to clear things up :
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking should the fans at the back be pushing air onto the cpu fan? Or at least have the top one drawing air in and have the bottom one and window extracting air? Or even further build a sort of wind shield so that the cpu only gets the air coming from the top fan ?

I have absolutely no idea what the best configuration of this is. Any ideas anyone ? :confused:

2. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I would suggest trying this:

Top Fan pulling ait OUT of the case. (hot air rises)
    Back Fans pulling air OUT of the case.
    Side Fan pulling air INTO the case (looks like it is aimed at the CPU).

I have used that exact set-up and had a 4*-5* drop, easy...

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

what temps do you get with the fan turned up/down?

4. Ricx

Ricx What's a Dremel?

Cheers JDog, will defo try that...

Xen0 - right now cpu is turned right down, all fans in system are at 6-7V and case temp is 35 degrees and cpu is 41. If I crank all fans to full on, case temp goes 2-4 degrees above room temp and cpu is about another 5 more than under full load. Not too bad really but noisey, so only do it when gaming really.

5. Hallq16

Hallq16 What's a Dremel?

It's "very good" instead of "not too bad" ;) (imo)

6. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

yeah the in front/sides out back/top rule is a good one.

clean that aero!, take the blower off the heatsink and clean the two, the two halves of the shell on the aero unclip allowing you to clean it thouroughly. I noticed a big performance increase in the cooler when i dusted it, as air actually only comes from one side of the blower. (the side that teh heatsink clogs with dust on). If you are not allready using a good thermal compound, use one, and i tended to set my aero to a level that was just quiet enough for general use, and left it set at that the whole time. Your temps seem ok though. Its worth fitting aluminium dust filters to all intake fans.