1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Aliens vs Predator Demo on Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DarkLord7854, 4 Feb 2010.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

NEWS LINK: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/02/04/aliens-vs-predator-demo-now-on-steam/1

Demo's on Steam.

Pre-order's being canceled. What a pile of garbage. Maybe it's because I lived and breathed AvP2.. but this game feels NOTHING like the other AvP games. The controls & characters feel sluggish, the graphics look dull, the alien has this weird green tint sh*t going on, and where the hell is my pounce attack?!

I'm so incredibly disappointed with the demo, I waited so long for the next AvP game, to build from AvP2's glorious MP.. but this, is not it for me.

Hopefully some people will enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Feb 2010
  2. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Gonna have to give it a go. I'm already feeling disappointed from the preview, so this isn't raising my expectations any.

I loved AvP2 also and was hoping this would at least be of the same quality.

3. DarkLord7854

If you were really into AvP2, I think you'll be disappointed. I used to play it a good 30+ hours a week..

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

had a quick skip across some old school AVP boards earlier, not looking good so far from the negative backlash

5. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Damnit I didn't know it was a mp demo. I just downloaded it for nothing. Couldn't find any matches either (not really the game's fault though). Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

6. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

Whats the size of demo ?

7. DarkLord7854

Yea I had to wait 15mins for it to connect to someone, the demo is P2P-only, though the retail will supposedly have dedi servers and a server list and all.

A bit over 1Gb

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

1265MiB or something.

My first thought when I saw this on the steam feed was AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME! But then I saw these comments and went all :( Is it really that bad? I thought it was looking to be really good.

EDIT: 1253MiB to be extact :p

Last edited: 4 Feb 2010
  9. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

+1

Although I'll take a look.
    Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

10. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Sound was crackling like mad, waited 15 minutes for it to connect to a game which than dropped out. Uninstalled.

11. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

are you sure that wasn't the menu music? i loved that crackling sound.

took a while to connect a couple of times but when it was actually in the game the atmosphere was bang on. Controsl for the predator are a bit clunky and the alien is a nightmare... as a marine the motion tracker has my pants filling though!

12. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I hate deathmatch. Especially the random spawn, quake style collect-your-scattered-weapons deathmatch.

But at least the demo gives a taste of whats to come. The full game should be fun.

13. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i posted my review on the AvP preview... so here it is again.
    And to add another minus...

....yes, Audio is pretty bad. voice from steam is bad. ingame effect is... stereo at best. no 5.1 stuff. and no "oomph". the variety is nice, but quality is low. which hopefully the full game is better.

as for connecting... took about 10min this morning for me to connect a quick match. last night was about 1-3 minutes. either way, once ur in, ur in all the way. the game wont drop unless ur seriously the last person online. it will just keep playing. i believe this is because it will REQUIRE a full 8 people to open a new session.

i assume once the demo picks up, there will be more people online.

but yeah. its intense.

ps: ROFL at mouse3 button for predators...... yeah. now i can see how Pres is slightly overpowered.... just dont let them pick up a weapon.

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I just played the demo and I actually quite like it! Although it was very laggy at time I imagine that to go when the game's released thanks to dedi servers, the graphics were ok, seen better but it did lack DX10 and 11. Still gonna pre order it because it was fun when it wasn't laggy and I bet it'll get better with a single player and different multiplayer modes.

15. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

As soon as I manage (not easily) to find a game, at the end of loading I get a very nice crash to desktop.
    Still haven't managed to play it.

16. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

People need to make sure they give it a really good chance. There is a lot of new stuff in there, :)

AVP Cheesecake!

17. Redbeaver

ya, now im hearing that stupid crackling hiss...

no its not the interface ambience, its when steam users use their voice chat and trying to speak.... im assuming its a specific codec or some sort, not all of them. hopefully that'll get fixed on release.

but boy, people learn fast, lol.... theyre getting good now. and preds weapons rock! (just make sure u press and HOLD to aim) that shoulder mounted cannon > all.

18. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I've tried it twice to day and it just doesn't find a game, they really messed it up. Demos should give you a taste of a game, this is just a taste of the pain.

19. Redbeaver

try again later, evening hour EST, should get in within the minute.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Still no luck getting a game on, this sucks!

[edit] Managed 20s with an Alien, no-one in sight to stalk and then the game leader left, killing the whole thing. Gay.