1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Alienware PCs to come with Steam pre-installed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I don't see this as being that big a thing really. Can see why Brad will be getting annoyed though!

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Its a logical step, Alienware are gaming PC's and I dont know any gamers that dont use steam.

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

How would this work tho?
    To include portal i assume they'd either have to premake each pc an acc (no thanks), or include steam preinstalled and a promo code on a card for the game, and how many of those do you think will go missing?
    Id like to know how this works out, not steams increase in sales etc.. just how many poeple don't get their free copy

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Sadly, I fear the epicness of Portal would be lost on the likes of people who buy Alienware PCs :(

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

lol

7. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I really don't see a problem here, they've been handing out steam coupons with graphics cards for some time now i think.

8. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

Damn right, and starforce and securom are no longer required, nor keeping the CD in the tray.

9. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Yeah, I got a HL2 free with my 9600XT back in 2004 I think? It was just an activation code so you still had to download steam and the game.

Having Steam pre-installed isn't really a selling point so I am going to be cynical and suggest the Valve are providing some sort of incentive to Dell for doing it.

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

Its just more bloatware preinstalled on machines, but amazingly its actually useful.

I think that most "alienware gamers" may be unaware of things like steam, and have completely overlooked an amazing game like Portal. They are the "Crysis iz da bestest gamez evAR bcz its got da bester grafix dan nefind els" generation of gamers, so getting them into some games with a great story line not just lots of gloss is a good thing.

11. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

Steam must be careful, anticompetitive behavior can cost you allot these days.

There are many anti-competitive commissions just looking for their next target, don't get me wrong I like Steam but they must be careful of their implementations.

12. chrisdj

chrisdj What's a Dremel?

Uhmm... didnt demigod require impulse to be installed???

13. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Add SOSE to that list

14. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I think steam is great and use it but as a selling point for alienware I think its pretty weak and
    steamworks is free to use so wardell is full of hot air aka steam lol

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

okay Im all for steam but that does feel a little anti-competive, feels like an Intel move via Valve lol they better rethink before they get sued by impulse lol.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

is it any worse that having googledesktop preinstalled? I think not. at least steam is useful

17. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

No more anti competitive than bundling Steam keys for Black Box/Orange Box/Dirt2/StreetFighter IV with new graphics cards. ATi have been doing this for years. It's part of the reason they have 70% of the digital distribution market. That and Valve's great games. Besides, a key code is cheaper and lighter than a CD.

18. gurboura

gurboura TopLevel Computers

Steam needs to go away. I'm one of the few that hates Steam with a passion. I spent 50 dollars on a game, and I HAD to install Steam to even use the game. Steam is such a joke.

19. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I don't think this was ever a secret. But that said I didn't like STEAM when I first came across it when HL2 was released. I was still using dial up and having to download content after buying a disc was a bit of a tw@.

20. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Steam should come pre-installed on every hard drive sold in the world, this would increase PC Gamer numbers and help the Ascendancy of the Valve Age!