1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD readies RV670 graphics chip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Sep 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Apparently there are also rumors of an X2950XT coming out in November!

Should make an interesting christmas!

3. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I sure hope so! This generations midrange cards have been very disappointing from both nvidia and ati.

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Unfortunately, that's only out of character for nvidia. ATI's midrange cards are usually fairly disappointing at first with some decent refreshes later on in the cycle.

5. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I promised myself that the next graphics card I bought would be 512MB because I am already starting to run into a texture size wall with certain games *glares at oblivion* and I want something that will last as long as my 9800pro did. Maybe that will never happen but I hated that I had to replace my last two cards within a year. It probably won't be untill the next generation of DX10 graphics cards that I upgrade at this rate. The price performance ratio in the current gen is abysmal.

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I AM that gap....I don't want a piece of crap, but I can't afford the cream of the crop....it's sad, but mid-range is really the better way to go for me...

7. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

I hope the reduction to a single 6-pin power connector has nothing to do with the PCI-Express 2.0 power allotment -- that would imply that the card couldn't work (or at least wouldn't get enough power to run at full speed) on any of the PCI-Express 1.0 boards that have sold over the last several years.

Or maybe it draws 150 Watts in total, so on a 2.0 board, you don't even need to plug in the 6-pin connector, and on a 1.0 board, it'll get power through both the motherboard and the 6-pin?

8. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

ATi really needs to cook something good up to bring back the competition between the two. hopefully this will help a little.

Is it also amusing that the watermark on the pictures is nv6800? cause that makes me think of nVidia 6800.... and its a ATi card? no? just me? ok....

9. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

that much electricity - and the mid 8-series will still probably beat it.

So much for ATi being green...

10. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Manufacturers would be insane to make PCI-E 2.0 only cards anytime in the near future, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Edit add (talk about going off half cocked..)

I'm waiting for a decent mid-range DX10 card myself, somehow if this is going to be less powerfull than the GTS 640mb/2900 region I doubt its the card for me :(.

Kinda waiting for Nvidia to come out with 89xx or 9xxx I think, though unless AMD can pull together major competition soon, anything nvidia do eventually release is likely to be hideously expensive still. :duh:

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ooow interesting I cant wait to see this in real world test ^_^

12. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

They would have to work pretty hard to make PCIe 2.0–only cards, I think, since PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2007
  13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea it is, and we've heard from more than one source that PCI-Express 2.0 is more or less nil performance increase.

14. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

single slot cooler = positive / single 6-pin PCIe power connector = positive for some reason I was thinking the GPU was going to be based on TSMC's 45nm process....o well....

15. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

doesn't surprise me, the change from AGP to PCI-E was a pretty low performance gain as well
    The cards are far more limited by other things then the bus

Tags: Add Tags